Urine Batteries

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Urine Batteries

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 15, 2009 8:51 am

NoPoPo AA and AAA batteries can be recharged by refreshing the liquid inside with beer, Snapple, spit, even urine. LINK

I wonder how this would fit into the recent thread about rechargeable battery's place in caving? :laughing:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: Urine Batteries

Postby shibumi » Jan 15, 2009 9:09 am

Scott, I say this with all affection and respect: You have way too much free time on your hands.

:laughing:

Actually, it's just a case of history repeeting itself, the trick in the old days was to pee in the carbide
lamp when you were out of water... In the days before modern alkaline cells, you used to be able to
rejuvenate carbon-zinc cells by punching a small hole in them and soaking them in water.

I think that short of reliable methanol fuel cells, the ultimate long term multi-day cave trip
power source will be zinc-air cell with replaceable zinc powder. The power to weight ratio is awesome.
Leave the cell in the cave, pack in fresh zinc powder, pack out the oxide, and use the system to
recharge everyone's lamps.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum