knee pad opinion

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby barcelonacvr » Sep 1, 2007 10:09 pm

I am still loving my six six one 4x4 kneepads,still going strong.For sharp stuff I use their hard shell version and cut slots in the shell for mud gripping.The normal 4x4's have a rough enough nylon texture to grip well.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bik ... 7CB7C112B8
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 2, 2007 6:34 am

Ponorplumber wrote:I am still loving my six six one 4x4 kneepads,still going strong.For sharp stuff I use their hard shell version and cut slots in the shell for mud gripping.The normal 4x4's have a rough enough nylon texture to grip well.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bik ... 7CB7C112B8
I just bought the six six one veggie knee and shin pads for mountain biking, but I haven't actually used them yet since I haven't gone riding where it's rocky enough to need them since I actually got them yet.

Do you wear your 4x4s over your coveralls, then? And there's room for them to fit?
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby barcelonacvr » Sep 2, 2007 7:12 am

Hi Barbara :) I generally wear them under my suit depending on scenarios with the odd under for a really tight cave.I have extra large calves so I had to sew some extra stretch material on the straps but for everyone else I know using them the normal straps are enough.

I did mod a pair though as extreme mud made the lower strap(ankle) came undone on me twice(out of many trips)
I inserted metal grommets on each side near where the straps are and added some lacing to cinch up.

Since I had extra stretch material sewn on the other ones I have not had this problem so that may be what I need.

For others that have mentioned the strap comes undone.Simply pop in some grommets and use lacing to tie in or smaller diameter bungee material tied as a loop behind your leg as to avoid abrading the bungee.

Being a plumber for over 20 yrs, I have spent a huge amount of time on my knees(let the comments begin :doh: ) and have had water on the knee many times.Wearing these pads seems to be more than enough to prevent flare ups and irritation.

I would be happier if they were made by a caving vendor but they work so I stick with them.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 2, 2007 9:57 am

Ponorplumber wrote:Hi Barbara :)

Hi Dougie!

Being a plumber for over 20 yrs, I have spent a huge amount of time on my knees(let the comments begin :doh: )

So, up there in Canada, are you getting news about our Senator Craig? I guess he wasn't on his knees, but there were lots of humor and comments and it *could* include being-on-your-knees jokes.

I started partially following this thread because I threw away my nearly worn out Bombers when the velcro gummed up with mud COMPLETELY and became worthless. But if they were under my coveralls, they would have gotten dirty, but not completely gummed up. But on the other hand, they wouldn't have protected my coveralls and *they* would have worn through.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Steven Johnson » Sep 2, 2007 1:55 pm

My old Bombers finally wore out after multiple repairs, so I got a pair of Dirty Dave's... which are quite nice! If you liked Bombers, try Dirty Daves.

In fact, I like the closure system better -- the velcro doubles back on itself so it's easier to adapt to different leg diameters (on my old Bombers I had to take up the straps a bit because I have skinny calves).

The only thing I dislike about this is that the foam isn't removable -- with the old bombers it was easier to throw them in the wash to clean 'em. (I have thrown the Dirty Daves into the wash and they seem to dry out ok, I'm just a little nervous about getting them dry without mildewing).
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby lorissa » Sep 25, 2007 7:25 pm

I have used Dirty Dave's for about a year. Never had any problems until one of the pads broke apart when I washed them. Maybe they are not supposed to go into washer? I'm going to cut it open and try to replace the pad. If that doesn't work I may try to create a new design. Got any suggestions for material (possibly fire hose?) or fastening devices?
lorissa
Infrequent Poster

Postby MUD » Sep 25, 2007 10:47 pm

Hey Lorissa! Yer avatar is the HEAT MISER!!! :frymyhide:

LOL haven't seen that feller since I was a chitlin'! Thanks fer the memory!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Steven Johnson » Sep 25, 2007 11:48 pm

lorissa wrote:Got any suggestions for material (possibly fire hose?) or fastening devices?

Ballistic nylon seems good for the main surfaces. Maybe Kevlar tape for the stress points near the edges?

I like the fasteners, personally. I'd jsut add better reinforcement and some way to remove the pads.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby lorissa » Sep 26, 2007 1:38 pm

Hey Cavemud,
Glad you like the avatar! I always thought the Heat Miser was the best, and I still remember his little song...

Steven,
Do you still have your bombers? If you do could you bring them to the next meeting? I'd like to check 'em out to get some possible design ideas.
lorissa
Infrequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Sep 26, 2007 3:06 pm

well i just purchased my Dirty Daves, they are in the mail. Hope that's the ticket for me!!

**** Update. I got the pads... so far I love them. The true test will be next week when I try them out. Can't wait!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum