EOS upgrade. Cheap, easy

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

EOS upgrade. Cheap, easy

Postby Biggimo1 » Dec 18, 2005 10:33 pm

to install IMS 17mm reflector in 1 watt PT EOS. This will make a bigger hotspot and give more usable sidespill. The stock EOS uses optics, which robs the led of some output.

In the battery compartment of the eos. There are 2 little plastic pins which hold the unit together. Drill these out. You only need to drill about 1/8" deep. only use a drill bit the same size as the pins. I used a 5/64" drill bit. Now you should be able to take it apart. Pull out the optic and put in the reflector. Put it back tegether. You can ues glue if you want, but you dont need to. the battery box screw will hold everything together. Also you may want to put something else in later. I almost forgot. You may need to trim the legs of the reflector.

Reflectors can be purchased at http://www.photonfanatic.com
Biggimo1
Occasional Poster

Postby jmo » Dec 19, 2005 2:03 am

Thanks for the mod info on the EOS. I have a Princeton EOS and I can't wait to try out the new mod. Have you had a chance to field test it yet?
Life is just one good thing after another
NSS 56887
jmo
Frequent Poster

Postby Biggimo1 » Dec 19, 2005 5:39 pm

Sorry, no personal test yet. It has however, been tested by many and has gotten much approval. This is a mod from candle power forums.

I will post personal test results in about a week.

Brian
Biggimo1
Occasional Poster

Postby jmo » Dec 19, 2005 9:31 pm

Thanks Brain - You DA MAN!!!
Life is just one good thing after another
NSS 56887
jmo
Frequent Poster

Postby Biggimo1 » Dec 26, 2005 7:41 pm

This mod worked out very well. I kept the brightness and gained much more useable light. This turned a decent caving light into a little bit more decent caving light. well worth the extra $5.

Brian
Biggimo1
Occasional Poster

Return to Equipment Forum