LED LENSER TRIPLEX headlamp

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

LED LENSER TRIPLEX headlamp

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 13, 2008 12:57 pm

Anyone else tried this headlamp???

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-ccc7454.html

I got mine at Lowe's for $24 or so. I must say, I Cannot IMAGINE a better unit for less than 30 bucks. My FIRST one (which I STILL use) has survived over 50 caves, and shows ZERO wear :woohoo: . I am actually still using the batteries that CAME with it. I even went back and got another one for my backup helmet. SUPER bright, and VERY light weight. The "Tilt head" could use just a touch more tilt, but aside from that, it's PERFECT. I even like it better than my caving partner's Petzl Duo (the older 12 led model).

It boast of its "Water RESISTANCE", but I have personally COMPLETELY submerged both of mine on SEVERAL occasions, and will attest, they are not water "resistant" these bad boys are WATER PROOF!!

Shockproof as well. During a short break, I recently dropped (or should I say KNOCKED) mine down a 30-40 ft rock wall :yikes: . It bounced 5 or 6 times HARD, then came to rest pointing straight in my eyes, as if to say "You're gonna have to do worse than that :roll: ....... Is that all you got???" Must be the ALUMINUM housing?!

I know LED LEnser makes tactical hand-held "SWAT" style lights, as I have several, and I knew they MADE some headlamps, but this is my first time seeing/using one firsthand.
All in all, if you are familiar with their hand-helds, you will be happy to know, the head-lamps are every bit as much "worth the money "

Just thought I would spread the info.... CHEERS!!!!!
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712
Co-Chair: Six Ridges Grotto

"Carpe Infinium".....Take it ALL!!!
"Molan Labe" ........ Come and Get Some!!
bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh
NSS #: 60712
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Six Ridges Grotto

Re: LED LENSER TRIPLEX headlamp

Postby NZcaver » Sep 14, 2008 12:55 am

Not bad for the price. I think I've seen these around. Are the brightness levels adjustable?

I see it uses a set of 3 one-third watt LEDs powered by 3 AAA batteries, which tells me it's probably not a regulated system. I'm surprised it's bright enough for a primary caving light, but if it works well for you that's all that matters. How many usable hours do you get out of a set of batteries?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Sep 14, 2008 8:58 am

You work for the company or either they're paying you to make such a glorious, raving shining recommendation of their product. :laughing:
Gonna have to give that little fella a look see as one of my spare helmet lights has starting to be on it's last legs.
Thanks for the write up... you should send that to them as you wrote it to us. Might even get a check in the mail back.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 14, 2008 8:46 pm

NZcaver wrote:..........(A) Are the brightness levels adjustable?............... (B) How many usable hours do you get out of a set of batteries?

(A) Unfortunately, no level adj........When Caving, I ALWAYS use my hand-held as my primary "Details" light, I mainly only use the head-lamp for getting aroung, and during SRT, when everything you REALLY need to see details on is generaly less than 2 feet from you. when i really want to shed light on something, or point it out to others, I just use the han-held. I also keep my hand held on a short wrist strap, so I can just grab it when I need the extra light. I guess old habits (from my "Pre-Head Lamp Days") really ARE hard to break.

(B) Well , like I said in my original post, the original batteries (which I assume are cheap, bulk batteries the makers got at a good price per million) have been on over 50 cave trips, and show no sign of weakening. As for an actual HOUR count, couldnt even tell ya. I just bring plenty of (new) backup batteries on each trip, along with about 5-7 different backup lights.... I think someone else claimed to be a "light geek". Me too :oops: More of the old habits , I guess. :shrug:

Ralph E. Powers wrote:You work for the company or either they're paying you to make such a glorious, raving shining recommendation of their product.
Gonna have to give that little fella a look see as one of my spare helmet lights has starting to be on it's last legs.
Thanks for the write up... you should send that to them as you wrote it to us. Might even get a check in the mail back.

No, neither of the two..... :laughing: ..... I just like the product well enough I thought I might spread the word :big grin: . I find a LOT of NON- cave/rope/climbing/lighting related products, that make the job transition VERY well. And usually cheaper than a "For CAVING PURPOSES" item. Heck, I might have just turned SOMEONE on to a deal they like, AND saved them a few bucks. :shrug:

Anywho... i have just realized that my fingers tend to get VERY "longwinded"....... Methinks I shall retire for the eve.... Cheerio!!!!........
TO THE MAN CAVE!!!!!!!!! :bat sticker:
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712
Co-Chair: Six Ridges Grotto

"Carpe Infinium".....Take it ALL!!!
"Molan Labe" ........ Come and Get Some!!
bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh
NSS #: 60712
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Six Ridges Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum