"Rechargeable lights have no place in caving"

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Rechargeable lights have no place in caving

Agree
No votes
Disagree
100%

Total votes : 74

Re: "Rechargeable lights have no place in caving"

Postby Evan G » Jan 14, 2009 1:12 am

YuccaPatrol wrote:I find that torches made from bundles of organically grown reeds soaked in pine resin are the most reliable and environmentally friendly caving lights. :rofl:

Your right! I was thinking of buying the rechargeable version the R7 rebel with hollow injectable resin reeds. Sweet light! Or the Reedlight Mark 4 which comes with the large diameter bright reed which throws full flood at the 4 lumen setting.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby NZcaver » Jan 14, 2009 9:49 am

Placing the reed torches aside for a moment...

NZcaver wrote:Mr Lipton still seems to miss a couple of important points entirely. His own state-of-the-art Olight (and many other LED lights) should work just as reliably and efficiently - if not more - using good rechargeable AA's instead of alkalines.

My earlier assertion was only based on a hunch, and it was bugging me that I might be wrong. So I did some research, and thanks to one of the fine people over at Candlepowerforums it seems I was right after all.

In max brightness mode, Mr Lipton's Olight T-15 should provide about 52 minutes of light on a Duracell AA alkaline battery. But if he were to use a rechargeable Duracell 2650 mAh NiMH AA battery, it should provide a full 2 hours of light. Big difference! (Times are based on how long it takes for the light to dim to 50% of its original intensity.)

This information and more (comparing several similar flashlights) can be found here

Even though it's twice as efficient, I imagine Mr Lipton might counter by saying he feels any newfangled NiMH battery would only be "half as reliable." :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 14, 2009 2:49 pm

NZcaver wrote:In max brightness mode, Mr Lipton's Olight T-15 should provide about 52 minutes of light on a Duracell AA alkaline battery. But if he were to use a rechargeable Duracell 2650 mAh NiMH AA battery, it should provide a full 2 hours of light. Big difference! (Times are based on how long it takes for the light to dim to 50% of its original intensity.)

wow, based on the 330 hours of caving I did last year, I would have thrown over 300 alkaline batteries using that setup. Instead of, you know, zero with my Stenlight.

:sarcasm: But, you know, like Mr. Lipton says, that's trivial, and pollution on a small scale doesn't matter... :roll:
I like how he seems to find the idea of recycling bottles and cans preposterous and suggests we "get real."
Last edited by Jeff Bartlett on Jan 16, 2009 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 15, 2009 7:22 pm

I find dragging burning tires with a chain through the cave the best source of light. They last a long time. Usually the next trip in, we don't see many bats though...............
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mark620 » Jan 16, 2009 11:18 pm

Chads93GT wrote:I find dragging burning tires with a chain through the cave the best source of light. They last a long time. Usually the next trip in, we don't see many bats though...............

plus the best part is: the trail that can be followed to find the way back out :rofl:
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby Cody JW » Jan 19, 2009 9:56 pm

I wonder if Mr. Lipton knows that you can buy an adapter to use AAs with the sten as an option, I know the beauty of the sten is the battery tech. , but if you prefer you can use AAs also.I do not yet own a sten ( I am in saving mode for one) but when I get one I will get the adapter also so if for some freak reason the rechargeable failed I could go to the AAs that I carry anyway for my backup lights.I cave a couple times a month in the winter time only and so far AAs have served me well with the apex and duo leds but would love to have the new rebel sten.Also the sten batteries are light and it is easy to carry two on any trip.I have been caving for 28 years and cannot believe how fast light tech has advanced in the last several years.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Lava » Jan 25, 2009 7:31 pm

You guys are all just jealous that your setup doesn't have a super-old-school helmet with awkward-looking, easily ceiling-smacked flashlight strapped to the top of it like Mr Lipton's. :big grin:
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby Tito the Turtle » Nov 1, 2011 12:13 am

Mark620 wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:I find dragging burning tires with a chain through the cave the best source of light. They last a long time. Usually the next trip in, we don't see many bats though...............

plus the best part is: the trail that can be followed to find the way back out :rofl:

:laughing: :clap:

:cave softly:
Troglophile
Tito the Turtle
Frequent Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum