3 watt LED flashlights, for backup light on helmet

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 3 watt LED flashlights, for backup light on helmet

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Sep 9, 2008 1:05 am

Chads93GT wrote:I hear talk, time to time about better batteries. I have energizer rechargables right now, are there some out there that will hold more power for the money?

Here's the link I was after:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=79302

and a more up to date poll of preferences:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=160206

As I remember it when I got my rechargables Sanyo were considered the best, there were some Energiser NiMHs made by Sanyo that were the same but cheaper. But this was a long time ago now. :doh:

Apparently the advertised capacities aren't always accurate and some of the batteries that advertise high capacities will not live up to the claims or degrade quickly, it seems reputable brands have the most to loose by bogus claims so for something like headlamps where it really matters I'd go with the better brand rechargables even if they don't perhaps have the same advertised capacity.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby NZcaver » Sep 9, 2008 12:15 pm

Yet another vote here for the Fenix. :kewl: I use my 3 watt L1D all the time now, not just caving. I'm also liking my new miniature 3 watt Zebralight headlamp, which like the L1D uses just a single AA battery.

I second most of the advice here. Avoid the 3 AAA configuration (unregulated) LED flashlights. The 3 watt mini mags are OK, but not great (not as efficient for their size as they could be). Fast chargers fry batteries. I no longer trust Energizer rechargeables as much as I used to. Still happy with the Rayovac Hybrid NiMHs, but the cheap (Wal Mart) source for them seems to have dried up and REI and other stores sell them for a ridiculous 50% more. I hear good things about the new Duracell pre-charged ones, but haven't bought any yet. I'd like to see the headlamp Fenix comes up with too.

And yes Yucca, you know too much... :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Steven Johnson » Sep 9, 2008 12:38 pm

NZcaver wrote:Avoid the 3 AAA configuration (unregulated) LED flashlights.

I use a PT Quad (3AAA) headlamp as a backup helmet lamp, and it's actually been great. (But I'm pretty sure it's regulated...)

NZcaver wrote:I no longer trust Energizer rechargeables as much as I used to.

They're OK, but I've had best results with Sanyo NiMH batteries and a slow Maha charger. (I haven't tried the Eneloop-style yet)
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Sep 9, 2008 12:51 pm

Steven Johnson wrote:
NZcaver wrote:Avoid the 3 AAA configuration (unregulated) LED flashlights.

I use a PT Quad (3AAA) headlamp as a backup helmet lamp, and it's actually been great. (But I'm pretty sure it's regulated...)

Oh yeah, I should clarify. I have the PT EOS 1 watt 3 AAA (regulated), and it's a pretty good light which has served me well as a backup headlamp. But compared with the efficiency of newer generations of 3 watt LED lights using 1 or 2 AAs, I think that technology is slowly going the way of the incandescent bulb.

NZcaver wrote:I no longer trust Energizer rechargeables as much as I used to.

They're OK, but I've had best results with Sanyo NiMH batteries and a slow Maha charger. (I haven't tried the Eneloop-style yet)

I haven't used the Sanyo's, but I found my Energizer 2500's which I loved so much did exactly what one of our British caving colleagues said they would (in another topic on this forum). Their capacity diminished greatly after about a year or so of "normal" use. I have sets of cheaper Rayovac NiMHs I bought back in about 2002(?) and used regularly for several years which still have good usable capacity. I can charge them up and still use them weeks later, but not so with the Energizers.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby incavenow » Sep 9, 2008 5:15 pm

And another Fenix believer! I use the P3D strapped to the side of my helmet to back up my sten light. Short profile and long burn time. The batteries are a little more exspensive, but hey! that's the cost of caving. I also have a cheapie 1AAA led strapped on for crawling, map reading, and footwork. I love how my two main lights can light up a large room when on high. I carry the Fenix L2D on my belt all the time for use around the house, etc. I really love these lights.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum