Backup Helmet Light(s)?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Backup Helmet Light(s)?

Postby Steven Johnson » Dec 15, 2005 2:31 pm

A general question: what do people use for backup light(s) on their helmet? And how many people have more than 1 backup helmet-mounted?

I like to have at least one backup light mounted on my helmet, but I just switched to a FoxFury as my main light, which doesn't leave a lot of room for anything else... so I'm open for suggestions for something that would be unobtrusive :-)
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Back Up

Postby CaverScott » Dec 15, 2005 4:30 pm

I use one LED backup (but not one you see on my helmet). (I almost never use the Xenon bulb setting though.)

MYO 3 - Headlamp with dual light sources: Xenon halogen bulb + 3 LEDs

The MYO 3 is suitable for users who need the advantages of both a bright, long range beam and efficient LED lighting. Ideal for all outdoor sports enthusiasts.

Also available in NOIR version: black elastic headbands, battery pack and lamp head.

Technical specifications :

137 g without batteries.
Operates with 4 AA alkaline batteries (included).
Supplied with spare 6 V Xenon halogen bulb
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 15, 2005 5:13 pm

Sounds like what you need is a second Fox Fury, to ride on top of the first! :calvin: Is it too late to get a letter to :santa: ?

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby cvr602 » Dec 15, 2005 6:08 pm

How about a side mounted light? With some heavy duty bungies, just wrap a 2 or 4AA or AAA flashlight to the side of your helmet if you have holes to place the bungies through. I have a very small 3AAA, 8 LED light that bought for five dollars on there, and I use a Duo for my main light. I also have an Aceto and a mount on my helmet, but I never take the Aceto anymore.
Walking into Virgin Borehole in a cave near you!!!
cvr602
Frequent Poster

Postby Steven Johnson » Dec 15, 2005 6:16 pm

cvr602 wrote:How about a side mounted light? With some heavy duty bungies, just wrap a 2 or 4AA or AAA flashlight to the side of your helmet if you have holes to place the bungies through. I have a very small 3AAA, 8 LED light that bought for five dollars on there, and I use a Duo for my main light. I also have an Aceto and a mount on my helmet, but I never take the Aceto anymore.

That's what I'm doing now, but the lights I have mounted are kinda too big and get in the way in tight spots (they are 4AAA PTec lights I think).
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 15, 2005 6:28 pm

I use a Petzl Tikka. Fits right under or beside my main light. I quit using side mounted lights because, like you said, they kept getting in the way in tight spots. I bet you could get a Tikka to ride above or below your FoxFury.

Just make sure you don't put all your extra light sources on your helmet. Your helmet may not always be where you are.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Steven Johnson » Dec 15, 2005 6:43 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:I use a Petzl Tikka. Fits right under or beside my main light. I quit using side mounted lights because, like you said, they kept getting in the way in tight spots. I bet you could get a Tikka to ride above or below your FoxFury.

Yeah, or even to the side.

Scott McCrea wrote:Just make sure you don't put all your extra light sources on your helmet. Your helmet may not always be where you are.

Yep. I also keep a spare on a lanyard and one in the pack.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 15, 2005 6:49 pm

And keep in mind that when your main light source fails, your backup becomes your primary source. It needs to be one you can use to cave safely on the route back out.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby speloman » Dec 15, 2005 7:26 pm

cvr602 wrote:How about a side mounted light? With some heavy duty bungies, just wrap a 2 or 4AA or AAA flashlight to the side of your helmet if you have holes to place the bungies through.

I use a 2AA Mini Mag light secured through bungee's on my Ecrin ROC. It works Great. I recently just bought the 3 LED conversion bulb for it and it is real bright. I did some experimenting with it in a cave and it works great as a back up to where if my main light went out I could get out no prob. I also carry 2 other head mounted lamps and 1 LED Shake light in my pack so I am never with out light. Not counting all the batteries..... I am a light freak I guess you can say
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby cvr602 » Dec 15, 2005 8:29 pm

I carry four lights most of the time, Duo and 8 LED on my helmet, NightHawk Eco and Princeton Tec Solo in my pack, with extra batteries. I also have an Ecrin Roc I use to mount my side light.
Walking into Virgin Borehole in a cave near you!!!
cvr602
Frequent Poster

Re: Backup Helmet Light(s)?

Postby RescueMan » Dec 15, 2005 10:54 pm

Steven Johnson wrote:what do people use for backup light(s) on their helmet?

I just use a headlight. For backup, I prefer a loud beeper so people know to get out of the way. :wink:

- Robert
aVERT
a Vertical Emergency Response Training
to aVERT disaster in the VERTical environment
RescueMan
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 15, 2005 11:19 pm

Currently for my main, I use a Petzl Duo LED 8 screwed to my helmet. My backup is a Princeton Tec EOS 1 watt LED attached to the helmet with a small removable bolt above my Duo. My other backups are in my pack - a little Princeton Tec Aurora 3 LED headlamp, and/or a Wal Mart 1 watt LED mini flashlight (which cost less than $20). 8)

The EOS runs off 3 AAAs, which only last a couple of hours on high beam. Good thing I only use high for occasional spotting. On low it lasts something like 50 hours, and the only real downside I've found is that the beam is a little narrow for normal use. It can give you a bad case of fog blindness when walking in stream passages! :cry:

Personally I grew tired of elastic headlamp bands catching on things, and annoying maglites zip-tied to the sides of my helmet. Plus I found a more symmetrical setup easier to operate by feel, and it doesn't look quite as awkward/goofy as some people's "one headlamp this way, one headlamp that way" setup... :roll:

One day I may consider replacing my main with a Petzl Myo XP or a Princeton Tec Apex - but I would rather find a tightly-focussed 2-3 watt LED that I can swap into the high beam side of the Duo. :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby reece » Dec 16, 2005 11:28 am

I use a wide variety of lights, depending on the situation, but it usually revolves around the following main lights:

speleo-technics FX-ION 14led,
Justrite carbide caplamp
petzl ceilingburner

my backups are:
petzl tikka
petzl micro

these two usually stay there. occasionally when i'm running a carbide, i'll toss on a justrite electric on the right-side lamp bracket, but this is usually only in BIG walking cave.

Image[/img]
--
these are not the opinions of Great Basin NP, or the NPS, just mine.
reece
Infrequent Poster

Postby Steven Johnson » Dec 16, 2005 12:54 pm

reece wrote:petzl tikka
petzl micro

It seems that most of the backups people list are AAA based (eg, tikka)... I've been hoping to find something with a similar small-and-light form factor but using AA, so I can standardize on a single battery type. But alas, no luck so far...
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David_Campen » Dec 16, 2005 1:23 pm

I use this:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/review ... yultra.htm
It uses a single AA battery. I use a couple of cable ties to attach it to the elastic strap of my headlamp.

You can buy it here:
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=GER2280011

Actually, I use an earlier version of this light:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/review ... _ultra.htm
David_Campen
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum