Backup Helmet Light(s)?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NZcaver » May 1, 2006 6:15 pm

hewhocaves wrote:right now i have a Princeton Tec Apex as my primary. I'm using two mini mags with LED bulb replacements on my hemet as my second and third lights. (Surprisingly, they are definately bright enough to use comfortably as a helmet mounted light). Lastly, i have a third mini mag in my pack. (regular at the moment - I'll buy a third LED replacement at some point in the near future).

As an additional bonus, all these light sources use AA batteries, thus allowing me to mix and match if things get desperate.

That seems like a good system. How do you mount your Mini-Mags on the helmet? I used to have one on the side a while ago, but ditched it because it was tough to turn on/off when taped to the band on the main headlamp. If I did it again, I would probably drill 4 small holes each side of the helmet and use a pair of zip ties to secure each Maglite. I'm thinking about getting more of the Nite-Ize LED upgrades, but this time the kits with the tail push-button switches included too.

Still, it's pretty tough to aim/tilt helmet-mounted Maglites - and they do seem to catch on things a bit more than regular headlamps. So I might have to go back to the drawing board on this one... :caver:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby hewhocaves » May 1, 2006 7:10 pm

NZcaver wrote:That seems like a good system. How do you mount your Mini-Mags on the helmet? I used to have one on the side a while ago, but ditched it because it was tough to turn on/off when taped to the band on the main headlamp. If I did it again, I would probably drill 4 small holes each side of the helmet and use a pair of zip ties to secure each Maglite. I'm thinking about getting more of the Nite-Ize LED upgrades, but this time the kits with the tail push-button switches included too.

Still, it's pretty tough to aim/tilt helmet-mounted Maglites - and they do seem to catch on things a bit more than regular headlamps. So I might have to go back to the drawing board on this one... :caver:

At the moment, I use two headbands for the minimags. But I'm considering dropping the second minimag and just leaving it in the pack (possibly with the headband).

the trouble is that there are too many headbands and they tend to shift.
I figure keeping the spare in the pack with the band isn't a bad idea simply because the odds on having two light sources breaking completely at the same time is very remote. If one light breaks you can add in another one the first chance you get.

you might be tempted to say that you'll just keep the minimags with one head band, but if your primary goes, you'll still want two lights on your helmet, even if you're only using one. so keep the second head band.

A final alternative is to make a headband with loops on both sides of hte helmet. Or stitch the loops directly into the Apex straps.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum