Expidition Essentials knee pads

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Expidition Essentials knee pads

Postby Lava tuber » Jul 8, 2008 8:19 pm

Has any one picked up the knee pads made by Expidition Essentials "Extreme Coverage Knee Pad" http://www.theonlygear.com/products/caving.html let me know how they are
Lava tuber
Occasional Poster

Re: Expidition Essentials knee pads

Postby Grandpa Caver » Jul 8, 2008 10:06 pm

IMO Fastek buckles and lotsa mud don't always go well together
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby subter » Jul 9, 2008 1:05 pm

Grandpa Caver wrote:IMO Fastek buckles and lotsa mud don't always go well together

on the same note the Swaygo seems to have these types of buckles/snaps and I've never had a problem with it. Looks like a really nice pad.
subter
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: DCG

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 9, 2008 1:34 pm

Actually, Swaygo has stopped using side-release buckles on the pack closures. The mud can be a problem, but the buckles were the most fragile part of the pack. We saw an unacceptable amount of broken buckles and after testing several alternatives, we switched to a "biner closure" around the first of the year. Instead of the buckle, there is now an accessory carabiner, just like the biners on the straps. The biner has proven to be much more durable, easier to work, and more reliable in more conditions.

Back on topic, these pads look nice, but I too wondered about the buckles. BTW, the biggest breaker of buckles... trunk lids and car doors.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Grandpa Caver » Jul 9, 2008 6:08 pm

subter wrote:
Grandpa Caver wrote:IMO Fastek buckles and lotsa mud don't always go well together

on the same note the Swaygo seems to have these types of buckles/snaps and I've never had a problem with it. Looks like a really nice pad.

I too have a Swago with no complaint but my kneepads get ground into the mud a heck of a lot more than my pack.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Steven Johnson » Jul 10, 2008 12:01 am

Scott McCrea wrote:Actually, Swaygo has stopped using side-release buckles on the pack closures. The mud can be a problem, but the buckles were the most fragile part of the pack. We saw an unacceptable amount of broken buckles and after testing several alternatives, we switched to a "biner closure" around the first of the year. Instead of the buckle, there is now an accessory carabiner, just like the biners on the straps. The biner has proven to be much more durable, easier to work, and more reliable in more conditions.

That's funny... my Swaygo failed in the buckle, but only because a the airport shuttle bus ran over my luggage! (To Swaygo's credit, they repaired it anyway, even though the damage wasn't cave-related...)

I just checked your website and it doesn't show the new biner closure that I can see.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby ek » Jul 10, 2008 2:07 am

Perhaps the fastex buckles on those kneepads could also be replaced by miniature carabiner closures.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby adleedy » Jul 10, 2008 6:16 am

my caveralls have the same type of buckle around the knee to hold knee pads in place, After a muddy cave trip, I usually cant get them undone until i take them home and spray em' off real good.

BTW: I noticed the new closure system on some swaygos in Howies tent at speleofest.
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Return to Equipment Forum