Princeton Tec Corona?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Princeton Tec Corona?

Postby wendy » Jun 25, 2008 9:52 pm

I want to buy my boyfriend a light for the helmet I am buying him. I have the Apex, and I was going to get him one of those as well, but then I saw the Corona. It's half the price of the Apex. I am assuming it would have the same function, minus the single spot light in the middle, which honestly I don't really use that often as it is. So does anyone out there have any opinion on the Corona, or shoudl I just get him the Apex?
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Re: Princeton Tec Corona?

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jun 25, 2008 10:15 pm

A search for "Corona" brings up a fair few mentions of this light which should give you a decent idea what they are like.

After my experience with Apexes I'm not sure I trust Princeton Tec's ratings anymore and the Corona is not rated to the level the Apex is. :down: but if your not doing wet stuff it might be perfectly OK.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby ArCaver » Jun 25, 2008 10:20 pm

I have a couple of them. Good solid lights. I've never tried them in extended wet situations so I can't vouch for their waterproof rating.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ek » Jun 25, 2008 10:40 pm

SUOC has a couple Coronas and I've used them occasionally. I know others in the club who have used them as well. They take 3 AA batteries instead of 4. They're not as bright or long lasting as the newer lights like the Princeton Tec Apex and Petzl DUO LED 14 (and obviously, like those lights, they're beaten out by the truly serious lights, like the Stenlight).

That said, the Corona is a solid light and a lot more waterproof than an Apex. If I were to do some sustained low air space, I would readily choose a Corona over an Apex. I'd put lithium batteries in them rather than Alkaline to increase the lighting time. Lithiums are officially supported.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby NZcaver » Jun 26, 2008 2:38 am

I've never used a Corona, but I've caved with people who have. Most say good things about them. They seem to be fairly solid for a basic light, if you don't need a spot beam.

There was some discussion in this topic about them being good headlamps for group use.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Carl Amundson » Jun 26, 2008 8:38 am

I like the Corona a lot. As others have said, it is a good solid light with a nice wide light pattern.
On my helmet I use both the Apex and Corona (see picture below)
This allows me to keep one light pointed down at my feet and the other pointed straight ahead.
I find that regular Alkaline batteries work fine for the Corona, I get 15 to 16 hours out of it.
Lithium batteries are a MUST for the Apex though...

Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby NZcaver » Jun 26, 2008 12:36 pm

junkman wrote:Lithium batteries are a MUST for the Apex though...

Why is that? I use NiMHs or occasionally alkalines in mine, and they seem to do just fine. Being so light, a set of lithiums are nice to keep in my pack as an emergency backup. But their higher cost and being disposable rather than rechargeable doesn't make them my first choice for regular use. Maybe for severe cold conditions, but not for caving.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Carl Amundson » Jun 26, 2008 12:45 pm

NZcaver wrote:
junkman wrote:Lithium batteries are a MUST for the Apex though...

Why is that? I use NiMHs or occasionally alkalines in mine, and they seem to do just fine. Being so light, a set of lithiums are good to keep around in your pack for an emergency backup. But their higher cost and being disposable rather than rechargeable doesn't make them my first choice for regular use. Maybe for severe cold conditions, but not for caving.

The cost is higher, but I don't have to change my batteries as often.
Depending on how much I use my spot, I can go 12 to 16 hours between changing batteries.
Using my 3 watt spot a lot, I only get 3 or 4 hours out of a set of Alkaline batteries.
On a 12+ hour trip, that's a lot of batteries to carry.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby ek » Jun 26, 2008 1:41 pm

NZcaver wrote:Maybe for severe cold conditions, but not for caving.

For severe cold conditions, you should consider a light with a belt-mounted battery pack, so your body heat keeps the batteries warm, increasing their efficiency.

I have an old Myobelt XP (before the new LED technology that made it way brighter). If you really have use for a beltmount lamp, I'd consider selling it. I use it as a backup light, in my pack, but it's sort of overkill for that.

Ironically, however, my Myobelt XP is, according to Petzl, not to be used with lithium batteries.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby NZcaver » Jun 26, 2008 2:42 pm

ek wrote:For severe cold conditions, you should consider a light with a belt-mounted battery pack, so your body heat keeps the batteries warm, increasing their efficiency.

Good point. I recently discovered our favorite Apex even has a belt pack version, the Apex Extreme. Interesting that Petzl recommends against lithium batteries for your Myo.

It would be a little cumbersome, but a belt pack might be useful for other gadgets too - like digital cameras. I was coming out of the backcountry in Denali NP a few weeks ago, and bumped into a fellow Kiwi who had just summited McKinley. Apparently his batteries only had enough juice to shoot one or two shots up there. :doh: Better than nothing I guess, but still frustrating.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 26, 2008 4:30 pm

I have used a corona almost exclusively for several years. They are a great light, far superior in fact to the apex in my opinion. Very reliable and waterproof with long run times and plenty of light. Mine has been dunked, scraped, banged, left in a closed trashbag, etc.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Jun 26, 2008 9:50 pm

I absolutely love my Corona. I don't care for the superbright LEDs like Apex...don't have one, because of the way the lights from others' "scratch and burn" my astigmatic eyes, and I don't want a cave to be as bright as my basement.

It's way bright enough to cave on, and has all those 8, 5, 3, and 1 positions. I also like the tilt feature (had a 3 LED Tikka before, and still use it as a backup, but the Corona does everything I want). I haven't dunked it, but I've worn it in wet Missouri caves, and out in the rain with no ill effects.

Battery life seems to be good, and the light, after the edge of new batteries fades, is still very good. I don't think you can beat the quality for the price.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jun 26, 2008 10:13 pm

I own several Coronas and have caved with them exclusively for over four years. I love them and think they're the best light out there for the price. I've seen them go for $30 new on Ebay at times. I can't attest to there waterproofness as I don't do much wet cavin....that's fer them ERVKET boys in West By God Virginny! :laughing:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 27, 2008 4:36 pm

I used my corona on over 20 blindfish survey trips. lots of water, a fair bit of time UNDER water. It has also done fine in closed trashbags of wet cave gear for a few days though I wouldn't recommend that!
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Jun 28, 2008 5:38 pm

cool, think i think i am sold. besides if he doesn't like the light he can just buy himself a new one, but i think this will make a good first light. plus it comes in blue :kewl:
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Next

Return to Equipment Forum