Camp Helmets

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Camp Helmets

Postby LambCaver » Jun 20, 2008 9:19 pm

has any one used or owned a camp for caving and is it any good for caving?
i'm looking at the silver star and the Rock star or the high star for caving which one you guys think is better?
LambCaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Zarris Kem

Re: Camp Helmets

Postby David Grimes » Jun 20, 2008 10:30 pm

I have seen several cavers using the Rock Star and none using the Silver Star. The Silver Star does bare a striking resemblance to the Petzl Elios though and all the people I know that use that model do not like it. I would say the rock star would be more comfortable and probably heavier. It really depends if you are going for light or comfort. The Petzl models are the same the Elios is lighter than the Ecrin Roc but most agree that the Ecrin Roc is more comfortable and more suitable for caving. I would guess there is a reason that all the cavers I know that use Camp helmets prefer the Rock Star. If you are looking at the camp helmets because of price I would recommend checking ebay. I have bought new helmets on there for a fraction of retail. I bought a new Ecrin Roc once for $32.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby SpeleoRover » Jun 21, 2008 8:38 am

I used a CAMP-USA helmet off and on for nearly 14 years. They're great helmets - a lot of brain bucket for the money.

In fact, I just ordered and put into use 10 High-Stars. That one is by far the best suited for caving. It is rugged, not too heavy, and pretty darn comfortable.

It may be more comfy than my Ecrin Roc. The only drawback is the click-wheel adjustment on the Roc makes it fast.
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
NSS#: 58276
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby LambCaver » Jun 21, 2008 7:14 pm

Yeah i was thinking about the high star or the rock star as you said the high star has more padding as i heard from fellow cavers?? Yeai i do like the Ecrin but its harder for me as i live in malaysia and the shipping cost is more with rising fuel prices ?? But when i get the money i'll buy an Ecrin but for now need some thing good for my melon.. the camp is good priced and okay... But the Ecrin is the best of course, but i also like the Edelrid ultralight my?? :kewl:
LambCaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 22, 2008 4:56 pm

Not to hijack the thread but I do feel compelled to defend the elios. I used to own an elios until it blew out of the bed of my truck while driving (I didn't notice till I got home) I actually was quite fond of it. It is MUCH lighter and provides MUCH better vision than an ecrin roc. The adjustment wheel in the back can be tempermental and it is a hotter helmet to wear due to the foam, but that means it will also float. I loved it for water caves and tight crawly places. In dry dusty caves I would use my ecrin. I'd gladly buy another, but since I own numerous perfectly good helmets it's hard to justify on a tight budget.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jun 23, 2008 1:18 pm

Not to mention the Elios is cheaper.

My wife tried to use the ecrin roc like I have, but it was too heavy for her head. She and my brother both cave with the elios helmet, and are pretty content - I've heard they are pretty hot to wear though.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby LambCaver » Jun 25, 2008 7:11 am

Yeah?? thats not good for malaysian caves?? hot humid at the start?? its quite hot in dry caves but cool an wet caves..
But can the Elios Fit the Aceto and the DUO??
LambCaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Aug 13, 2008 1:56 pm

I just bought the CAMP high star for my boyfriend. Hopefully he will like it. I tried it on and it was comfy and not to heavy. I liked the padding on the inside.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby anthonytsi » Jan 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Cool! I just won a Petzl Ecrin on ebay for $25 and free shipping. It looks brand new. All that is wrong is a broken buckle. "On Rope One" is only a few miles from me and they have the spare buckles. I was also bidding on a Camp Silver Star and after reading these posts I'm glad that I did not win it. :clap:
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum