Caving pants

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re:

Postby JR-Orion » Aug 31, 2011 1:00 pm

Amocholes wrote:I've been using a set of Lost Creek coveralls for about 5 years. Heavy ballistic nylon with pockets for knee pads. Finally had to do a little re stitching on a couple of seams last year though. Normally wear them over a set of Polypros and stay nice and warm.

I wear the same setup. Has always kept me warm and comfortable.
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Re: Caving pants

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 31, 2011 2:19 pm

You can buy cordura online yourself and follow a simple pattern for shorts or something too if you want. I need to do that...my seats on my pants are so full of holes...good thing I wear undies while caving or peeps would get a nice view! hahaha
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Aug 31, 2011 2:34 pm

Maybe I am just hot natured , but I have a two piece BC top and pant combo and NEVER wear it. I cannot do wetsuit stuff because I cannot find a shorty to fit me but I still prefer jeans. I have a never ending supply as my street ones wear out then are retired for caving .If I am going to be wading in a stream cave I will wear poly pro under jeans ( single layer) and I stay very comfortable. Dry caves , jeans and a stay dri t-shirt as I get HOT going up and down breakdown. I notice also that cave suits , the ones I have seen make it easy to slide on a muddy ledge compared to jeans. I do not do 12 hour trips or overnight survey stuff as most of my trips are 4-5 hours.I have never been close to getting cold . Most of the time I cave with skinny guys who cave much more than I and I am struggling to keep up and getting HOT doing so, except one time on a wet multi drop. Most of the time any thermal problems I have in a cave is getting too hot. I might take a long sleeve top in a pit with me to wear when waiting on bottom to climb then when I get on rope it is T-shirt time. Been doing it for decades and that is what is comfy for me. I have never caved in an alpine or euro situation as most of my caving is Indiana, Kentucky, and TAG.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby boogercaver71 » Aug 31, 2011 3:56 pm

I wear the stretchy nylon softball pants with a poly-pro layer underneath for wet caves. They have extra material in the rear and knees, they are cheap ($16), and last a long time. Cody, I found wetsuits to fit me at http://www.nrsweb.com/default.asp
:cavingrocks:
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum