Petzl Myo XP 2008 model 200% brighter test...

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Petzl Myo XP 2008 model 200% brighter test...

Postby anthonytsi » Apr 19, 2008 4:25 pm

I just purchased a Petzl Myo XP that is the new 2008 model and claims to be 200% brighter than the old model XP. I got a chance to test it today in Howard's Waterfall cave. This thing Rocks. We went with a group of ppl that all had different headlamps, and I'll say that my XP blew them all out of the water, although I think the majority were Wal Mart brands. As we were all walking (about 15 of us) I turned my light off and the overall light in the cave dropped by about 50% even with all the other headlamps going. I would have been about the same brightness in the economy mode.
The "flood" lens is really great. It gives a smooth, even light all around. I usually have to carry a hand held light, however I just put it back in my pack today and forgot about it. Both hands are free now.
The color of the light is very pleasing. I was worried that it would go into the blueish tone but it didn't. It was a very pleasing white color. It will also illuminate very well with the lens flipped down in spot mode. Nothing can hide from this light especially when you hit the BOOST button.
I would like to do a field test between my new Myo XP and the Princeton Apex just to see the visual difference.
I am a beginner at this caving thing so take that into consideration when you read this. However, I know that it makes my old ZOOM look like a wax candle.
There's my review, and I hope it was helpful. Anthony. :big grin:
P.S. I purchased this at Basegear.com and used their 20% off coupon, and after free shipping, I paid about $65. Not bad.
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Re: Petzl Myo XP 2008 model 200% brighter test...

Postby potholer » Apr 20, 2008 4:52 pm

Realistically, I'd expect that most headtorches running a latest-tech LED at around a Watt are going to give similar output, though compared to an Apex, the new Myo does give the choice of beamshape.
Comparison with an Apex would depend whether the Apex had been modded to a similar-spec LED to the new Myo.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby potholer » Apr 22, 2008 6:04 am

potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mark620 » May 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Regarding the APEX VS MYO XP,

The Apex is a regulated light and the myo is not therefore
with the apex you get the same amount of light during the battery life.
with the myo you you get gradual dimming light output during the life of the battery.

Regarding run time the myo will be longer
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby icave » May 20, 2008 8:32 am

potholer wrote:Some beamshot comparisions at:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=195856

That is a moded Apex, so it's not really a great comparison. I would love to see some pictures from a stock Apex vs the new Myo XP.

Thanks
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby potholer » May 23, 2008 1:56 pm

icave wrote:That is a moded Apex, so it's not really a great comparison. I would love to see some pictures from a stock Apex vs the new Myo XP.

That'd be nice, but on candlepowerforums, apexes seem to end up being modded.

Assuming the Myo's cells were fresh, that the Myo 2008 on high seems so much dimmer than an modified Apex on high would seem to suggest that a Myo 2008 wouldn't exactly blow away a stock Apex.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mark620 » May 23, 2008 5:11 pm

potholer wrote:Assuming the Myo's cells were fresh, that the Myo 2008 on high seems so much dimmer than an modified Apex on high would seem to suggest that a Myo 2008 wouldn't exactly blow away a stock Apex.

Not in light output but it will blow the APEX away in runtime.
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Return to Equipment Forum