New super-strong Pedigree dog food bag: uses for caving

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

New super-strong Pedigree dog food bag: uses for caving

Postby YuccaPatrol » Apr 13, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm a big cheap-skate/environmentalist and love finding new uses for stuff most might consider garbage. I just finished off a 52 pound bag of Pedigree dog food bought from Costco. They have begun using a super-strong woven plastic bag tear-proof that just begs to be re-used and not just thrown away. The material it is made of is very similar to the stuff used for plastic tarps, although it is thicker and appears even stronger.

I'll be saving these and using them instead of disposable lawn bags for tossing all of my muddy wet caving gear in on the way home. I'm not sure if other smaller Pedigree bags are being made of this stuff, but I'll check into it as I see them in other stores.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Re: New super-strong Pedigree dog food bag: uses for caving

Postby NZcaver » Apr 13, 2008 6:58 pm

YuccaPatrol wrote:I just finished off a 52 pound bag of Pedigree dog food bought from Costco.

Wow - you finished off a 52 lb bag of Pedigree all by yourself? :eat: Mmm Mmm Mmm!! :tonguecheek:

I've found Tyvec is pretty good for some outdoor purposes too. A sheet makes a light and cheap protective tent pad, and the bags are great for storing various items.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby YuccaPatrol » Apr 13, 2008 9:27 pm

LOL. . . . I guess I should have rephrased it to say that my 3 Saint Bernards polished off that bag. . . . but I must admit that the little square pieces with the chewy center are a tasty snack. . . . :rofl:
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Apr 15, 2008 3:37 pm

YuccaPatrol wrote:I'll be saving these and using them instead of disposable lawn bags for tossing all of my muddy wet caving gear in on the way home.

just make sure you wash everything really, really well, or you'll be "that guy who was a pretty good caver but smelled kind of like Pedigree and kept getting mauled by dogs, wolves, and coyotes all the time."
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby YuccaPatrol » Apr 15, 2008 10:44 pm

True. . . . but the search and rescue dogs will find my body easier! :rofl:
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster