StenLight S7

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Extreme Sten Caving...

Postby Dwight Livingston » Oct 25, 2005 8:40 am

Darklight wrote:. . . I do not see mounting the battery inside (mine is at about 45 degrees from side to top) a major safety issue. . . .

You are entitled to your opinion on this, but I would hate to see such an idea spread. If a rock hits your helmet where the battery is located, that force will drive the battery into your head. Same is true if you fall and strike your head against rock where the battery is located. The result will be entirely different from the result if no battery were there.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby Darklight » Oct 25, 2005 9:07 am

You are, of course, correct. However, my risk assessment places the possibility of this very low. IMHO. It's all about risk I guess. That rock could just as easily break my neck and kill me instantly. I worry more about drowning, etc. But, I'd hate to have my scalp lacerated by that .5 pound rock falling 1 meter! I moved the battery to the back.
C.G. Anderson
http://www.darklightimagery.net
http://www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WCCSG/

"I've done things God should have questioned, but I don't care".
Darklight
Prolific Poster

Improvement to Sten Battery Mounting

Postby cmyoung » Oct 25, 2005 10:07 am

I really like the 3M Dual Lock super velcro that Sten provides for battery mounting but, like others I worry about ripping the battery off in a crawl or, worse yet, climbing through running water.

I think that I have solved the problem by securing a loop of bungee below the battery and hooking it over the top of the battery. The Dual Lock still does the bulk of the work but the bungee holds it securely into the fastener. It is easy to change batteries and seems to be pretty bomb proof.

Chris
cmyoung
Infrequent Poster

Name: Chris Young
NSS #: 40456
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Diego Grotto

Postby Doug McCarty » Oct 29, 2005 1:02 pm

I have only used the Stenlight once since I got it a week or so ago--a survey trip in a wet cave. I was a little worried about the velcro attachment, so I slapped a piece of duct tape over the battery and velcro. That worked fine.

The light, by the way, was great. I fretted for two weeks prior to buying it about spending that much on a light. Now that I've used it, I believe it was definitely worth it. I'll probably freak when I get my mastercard statement, but it was money well spent.
DougMc
Doug McCarty
Occasional Poster

stenlight discussion gone

Postby Kevenater » Nov 15, 2005 7:37 am

Why did everybody stop talking about the stenlight suddenly?
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Name: Keven Williams
NSS #: 46794

Re: stenlight discussion gone

Postby rrobins » Nov 15, 2005 6:50 pm

Kevenater wrote:Why did everybody stop talking about the stenlight suddenly?

Maybe folks that spend that much for a light are too busy caving :shock:

Actually mine has only been underground twice since I got it in August :cry: but it is definitely a great light in big caves. I took a route I had been on a dozen times before and saw an entirely different cave than what I saw with my old reliable 5-led Duo.
rrobins
Infrequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Nov 15, 2005 7:16 pm

Bob, could you see the area just in front of your feet OK with the light positioned normally to shine down the passage? I find that these powerful lights tend to have a narrow or horizontal beam, and I need to keep bobbing my head down to point the light closer to my feet to see where I'm steping, or wear a smaller LED below my main light.

Of course I didn't notice this as a problem 20 years ago when the eyes were much younger.... sigh. :(
Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby rrobins » Nov 15, 2005 7:26 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:Bob, could you see the area just in front of your feet OK with the light positioned normally to shine down the passage?

That is a bit of an issue - I do have to tilt it down some on occasion but it wasn't as bad as I had expected. When I need to do that I am usually running at a lower power setting anyway so I can adjust tilt and power at the same time.

I still may add a small tikka-type light to my set up to handle that. I have seen that some people have been changing out the lenses for wider angles than the stock lenses, but I really like the long range for looking across rooms our up to high leads and wouldn't want to give that up.
rrobins
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdoc » Nov 15, 2005 8:23 pm

I now have a second battery for my Stenlight. Used the light on a rigging replacement trip in a project cave and showed it off to some of the local cavers. Definitely a nice light.

Anybody want to buy my old FX2's?

Doc
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Looks like i stirred up new conversation

Postby Kevenater » Nov 16, 2005 9:15 am

Well it looks like i got things stirring again. Would it be possible to use a petzl duo battery box and just slide the stenlight batt pack down inside it somehow
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

another question

Postby Kevenater » Nov 17, 2005 7:12 am

I have another question about the stenlight. Couldn't you modify the plastic piece that comes on the petzl explorer helmet, aceto setup. the plastic piece that you attach the aceto to, so that you could attach the blade mount to it.
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

stenlight popularity gone?

Postby Kevenater » Dec 14, 2005 2:58 pm

looks like the stenlight has lost its momentum. nobody is talkin about it anymore. thats strange, its supposed to be the ultimate caving light and nobody is even talkin about it now, yet they're still talkin about that foxfury light thing. lol
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Cato » Dec 14, 2005 3:33 pm

BUMP!!!

:grin:
Mike Cato
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby Alex Sproul » Dec 14, 2005 4:20 pm

>looks like the stenlight has lost its momentum...

Wrong! They're still FLYING out of here! People have just heard/seen all they need to know to pull out their wallets! It seems Caver Santa is big on it, too...

Alex
Alex Sproul
NSS 8086RL/OS
Alex Sproul
Frequent Poster

Name: Alex Sproul
NSS #: 8086RL/OS

Postby Hatch » Dec 14, 2005 5:01 pm

So when's the big half off Christmas Stenlight sale gonna happen? :)
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum