Helmet Question

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Helmet Question

Postby Hatch » Dec 1, 2005 11:38 am

So I have a bit of an embarassing issue. I have a big head. :? It's not elephant man big, but as an example I can't wear most baseball caps unless they are completely unsnapped in the back or I rig up something to just hold the ends of the snaps together tip to tip.

I just received a new Petzl Ecrin Roc yesterday and after trying it on it seems a little snug, even after loosening the head band as much as possible. Since I've got limited experience wearing helmets, how snug are they supposed to be normally? My hair is a little bit thicker than usual right now, so that might help a little. Is there supposed to be much wiggle room when you wear one? Are there any modifications I can make to give me a little more space? Are there other brands that are made for bigger heads?
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Nico » Dec 2, 2005 12:04 am

Trim your hair, that would help if its uncomfortably tight, I'm big headed too. I like my helmet to be snug so it does not wobble, the only disadvantage I see in your case is that you probably wont be able to use a bandana/rag/headwrap or whatever to stop sweat from coming down to your eyes.
thats just my opinion.
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Hatch » Dec 2, 2005 10:18 am

Thanks Nico. I played around with it a little more and I think I just need to twist the right adjustment wheel as far as it will go then put something that will stop it from twisting back. I put some wadded up paper in the wheel last night and it held it in place well enough to see that it had a comfortable fit.

I've never had too much problem with sweat coming down into my eyes, so I'm not too worried about a headwrap.

Now if I could just get my pregnant wife to stop worrying about how big the baby's head is. Heh. :)
Hatch
NSS# 56765

Hatch
Prolific Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 2, 2005 10:30 am

Hatch wrote:Now if I could just get my pregnant wife to stop worrying about how big the baby's head is. Heh. :)

:rofl: My wife said the same thing. Especially after the Sonogram nurse said his head was above average size. :eek: It's all good tho. When is she due?

Did you see this thread? Good info...
http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=190
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Nico » Dec 2, 2005 10:35 am

I've never had too much problem with sweat coming down into my eyes, so I'm not too worried about a headwrap.

Seems like you've never been caving in Mexico right? Most of the times I come out soaked, but maybe its just me drinking too much water :)

The paper you put in it might come off sometime I'd recommend some
kind of glue or epoxy resin :idea:
Good luck!
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Hatch » Dec 2, 2005 11:16 am

Oh, I definitely sweat, but it tends to run down my temples instead of my forehead. Just the topography of my head I guess.

The baby is offically due Jan 6th, but could come any day now I suppose. I've been losing weight and I joined the local grotto, so I really want to do some caving right now but I promised her I wouldn't disappear out of cell phone contact until after the baby is here.

She's had 4 ultrasounds and everytime she asks the technician about the baby's head as soon as the machine is turned on.
Hatch
NSS# 56765

Hatch
Prolific Poster

Postby Hatch » Dec 2, 2005 11:18 am

Oh, I missed something. The paper I used last night was just a temporary kludge. I'm thinking about some type of putty or even putting a small screw in. I don't want to lose the adjustability completely.
Hatch
NSS# 56765

Hatch
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum