New satellite device to call for help

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jan 30, 2008 8:38 am

It wouldn't work in caves, of course, but could be a great addition for ridgewalkers, backpackers, hikers...
:help:
SPOT. The World’s First Satellite Messenger.
With the SPOT Satellite Messenger, you and your loved ones have peace of mind knowing help is always within reach. SPOT is the only device of its kind, using the GPS satellite network to acquire its coordinates, and then sending its location – with a link to Google Maps™ – and a pre-programmed message via a commercial satellite network. And unlike Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT does more than just call for help. Tracking your progress, checking in with loved ones, and non-emergency assistance are also available, all at the push of a button. And because it uses 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world – even where cell phones don't.

http://www.findmespot.com/
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jan 30, 2008 1:09 pm

Wayne, this is the same device that SAR folks have been pushing for several months now. It's really quite a device and much more reasonable than a PLB. A SPOT goes for about $150 and annual dues about the same, and as you wrote, it has several functions that can assist finding the missing person. Our volunteer helicopter pilot has one in his "bird" and swears by it. He used it when assisting his buddies on the Baja 5000 a few weeks back. :banana_yay:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: New satellite device to call for help

Postby YuccaPatrol » Jan 31, 2008 10:27 pm

That thing is great, especially since it is quite affordable. For the field work I sometimes do alone, it would be a great asset.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby pebblepoint » Mar 3, 2008 6:06 pm

I was reading the daily nps report from Big Bend last year and it seems that they had to rescue a lone hiker/climber when he climbed up a 60' spire and couldn't climb down. He activated his plb, which went to Langley, who called his wife, who called the park service, who rescued him.
Happy ending to a dumb move.
don
little egypt
semo
crf
pebblepoint
Occasional Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Mar 3, 2008 8:02 pm

Well, true it won't work in caves but as mentioned would be great in ridge-walking trips and caving trips in the deep country like Utah, Colorado, Montana and other high alpine type caves in the U.S. -- as well for the European cavers who probably go to deeper mountain ranges than the ones in the U.S.
It also would be a time saver should a person get hurt in a deep cave and one of the party manages to get to the surface. Instead of running all the way back to the vehicles which could be several miles away to go get help (in case there's no cell reception as sometimes the case), the device is activated at the mouth of the cave. At least rescuers will be pin-pointed to where the cave is which would save time logistically.
Several caves I know of could be reached by helicopter thus rescuers could be airlifted to the site faster.
Neat device to be sure.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby YuccaPatrol » Mar 4, 2008 10:49 am

Even though it would not actually work INSIDE a cave, it would still be very useful if you used it to check in with your home contact person at the cave entrance. If they did not receive a second check in message after a pre-determined time, they would have all the info needed to begin a search/rescue operation.

What is missing is the ability to compose a short text message when checking in, but I'm sure future versions will allow the user to send more than just a "check-in" or "need help" message. Even 20 or 30 characters would be enough to give your contact person some necessary info.

I'm going to hold off on buying this first version because I know that as soon as I do, the next generation will be released.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum