under or over?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

under or over?

Postby wendy » Jan 5, 2008 12:28 pm

I was just curious if ya'll wear your knee pads under or over your cavesuit? I saw that the crawldaddies are made to wear over your polypro and under the suit, they suggest getting a size larger if you want to where them over. I've ben wearing mine over my suit, but then in wetcaves water that gets in my suit won't drain out cuz it gets trapped by the knee pads. Just curious as to what everyone else does.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Re: under or over?

Postby ian mckenzie » Jan 5, 2008 1:31 pm

Over, because my suit's custom-made and I don't want to trash the knees out of it. Also, over is easier to adjust on my knees; for example, I can pull them down over my boot tops to act as gaiters if I'm splashing thru something cold and nasty, or to keep my lace-locks from catching while ascending a cable ladder.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby ek » Jan 5, 2008 1:33 pm

I always wear my Gonzo Guano Gear Regular Knee Armor kneepads (see here) over my outermost layer. This is partially because all the garments I wear caving are either not designed for caving and weaker than those kneepads or designed for caving and considerably more expensive. Also, the cordura on the outside gives good friction for chimneying. But the main reason why I wear them on the outside is that, no matter how I adjust them, they tend to slip around and I need to correct their positioning.

ian mckenzie wrote:I can pull them down over my boot tops to act as gaiters

They act effectively as gaiters? What kneepads do you have?
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 5, 2008 1:51 pm

over, because one of our project caves absolutely shredded my oversuit when i tried things the other way. that's the only reason. oversuits are expensive (and seem to keep going up), and the pads are there as much to protect my suit as they are to protect my knees.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby volica » Jan 5, 2008 2:15 pm

Over.
Once I had it underneath my coverall, and in the middle of 500'long, 2' high popcorn crawlway I had to strip in order to adjust them.
volica
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 57781

Postby Evan G » Jan 5, 2008 2:28 pm

Over, kneepads are cheaper than oversuits.

The one thing I love to do when I get out of a cave is get my kneepads OFF as fast as possible. Hiking in kneepads can sometimes be more painful than crawling. I had gypsum under my pads once and didn't feel it till the next day, you can imagine.....
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 5, 2008 2:38 pm

Evan wrote:Over, kneepads are cheaper than oversuits.

:exactly: :agree: :yeah that:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 5, 2008 2:54 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:

so when are you going to start making us kneepads out of the same material the Swaygo packs are made out of? huh? I volunteer to test the first batch!

:grin:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Realms » Jan 5, 2008 3:13 pm

xcathodex wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:

:exactly:
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby paul » Jan 5, 2008 3:32 pm

Over (using a Meander PVC suit).

This also helps with bending legs etc. as the oversuit legs are held up by the kneepads so that there is more materials above the knees.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby mgmills » Jan 5, 2008 5:13 pm

wendy wrote:I was just curious if ya'll wear your knee pads under or over your cavesuit? I saw that the crawldaddies are made to wear over your polypro and under the suit, they suggest getting a size larger if you want to where them over. I've ben wearing mine over my suit, but then in wetcaves water that gets in my suit won't drain out cuz it gets trapped by the knee pads. Just curious as to what everyone else does.

From reading the responses, I guess I'm in the minority. I prefer my knee pads over my polypro pants and under my B&C Wunderwear pants.

My knee pads cost me >$50 over 5 years ago. My caving pants cost ~$100 . . . put the knees are double layer and could be patched if need be. My last pair of caving pants wore out in the seat (had the seat patched twice) and the knees were still good.

I find that trying to wear the pads over my pants causes fabric bunching behind my knees that is very annoying. Sometimes I wear shorts (I live in a warm area) over polypro. Then of course my knee pads are exposed to the harshness of the cave environment.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Realms » Jan 5, 2008 8:10 pm

I wear mine on the outside for a few reasons (many as stated above). I tend to look at boots, helmet, gloves, and kneepads as components that make up a type of exo-skeleton so to speak. These are all primary wear points for me. Also my kneepads offer more than just cushion - they also offer traction and have litterly saved my bacon on more than one ocassion and offer more traction than my boots. I have a industrial sewing machine at work and hope to do a kneepad mod by placing my current kneepad tread on caver style kneepads. The more friction I can obtain from a contact point the better my chances should a bad situation arise. This style will not aply to all as everyone has their own unique style of caving but it applies to me. No regrets on a 15+ year setup :grin:
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Jan 5, 2008 9:29 pm

Thing about this forum is, the US is such a big land mass that advice from one region may be irrelevant to the next. For example, if you wear jeans caving, the knee pad issue is likely different than if you wear full furrys and and oversuit.

ek wrote:They act effectively as gaiters? What kneepads do you have?

I wear neoprene kneepads from Britain, but it seems to me that any kneepad can be pulled down over your boot-tops (assuming you wear boots that have exposed tops...).

)
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby pacaver » Jan 5, 2008 9:42 pm

Under. When I wore them over, they'd tend to move out of position, usually when you're in a long nasty crawl where it's impossible to reach back and adjust them. When I started wearing them under they rarely moved out of position.
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Postby ek » Jan 5, 2008 10:03 pm

ian mckenzie wrote:I wear neoprene kneepads from Britain, but it seems to me that any kneepad can be pulled down over your boot-tops (assuming you wear boots that have exposed tops...).

My kneepads are also made of neoprene (with Cordura sewn on the front), and I can't visualize how this would work. Do your kneepads go all around your knees with neoprene? Mine protect my knees in front and have straps that are fastened around back.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Next

Return to Equipment Forum