hiking boots

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: hiking boots

Postby Evan G » Jan 3, 2008 10:54 pm

machine23

I just figured out where you are. Man you'll are about to get hit by a wopper of a storm on Friday! A friend of mine lives up at Lake Arrowhead and they are batting down the hatches.

On a boot, merrel is OK, but it is mainly a trail boot. La Sportiva, Asolo is a better bet. Get something with Gore-tex and a half-shank or three quarter shank. The shank just make the boot stiffer and less like you'll hurt your instep if you step on a sharp rock.
Makalu (La Sportiva) is a great overall boot and you can find them in ebay for under a hundred and they last for a very long time. Aka Good luck wearing them out
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby JoeyS » Jan 3, 2008 11:37 pm

Hey Evan. :waving:
I know you know your gear, so while we're on the subject.. Do you have any opnion on Alico brand boots? Just got a pair of the Tahoe backpackers this week from STP. They seem well made, but I've never heard much about them.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby paul » Jan 4, 2008 7:21 am

Evan wrote:I don't prescribe to the one boot fit alls occasions. I have a whole quiver of them about 22 in all. Can you say boot (y?) fetish!!

No - one boot will not fit all occasions. You need a pair! :rofl:

Seriously, I always (and fellow cavers I cave with) use wellies. Even with a reasonable walk-in. Even when caving abroad in hot climates (Italy, Thailand, etc.)
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby cavedoc » Jan 4, 2008 9:44 am

Scott McCrea wrote:You have more shoes than my wife. :shock: :rofl:

I used to make snide comments about the stereotypical numbers of shoes that women had. Then I counted the number of pairs of boots I had and stopped. Still, nowhere near the number that Evan has.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby Evan G » Jan 4, 2008 2:26 pm

JoeyS wrote:Hey Evan. :waving:
I know you know your gear, so while we're on the subject.. Do you have any opnion on Alico brand boots? Just got a pair of the Tahoe backpackers this week from STP. They seem well made, but I've never heard much about them.

:waving: Hey JoeyS, How is NashVegas?

Yes, I do know Alico boots! I think when Donner and Merrel start going to "trendy", Alico made their market in the US. They are an Italian made boot. Like the both I have mentioned before; Alico are made in the "classic" style of a General Trail boot. These boots would be great for general outdoor activity. All around they are a good buy. When you clean and waterproof them use Nikwax: http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-us/activity/index.php?activity=OUTDOORS Nikwax is BY FAR the best waterproofing, Biwell leather conditioner is second best.

paul wrote:No - one boot will not fit all occasions. You need a pair! :rofl:

Seriously, I always (and fellow cavers I cave with) use wellies. Even with a reasonable walk-in. Even when caving abroad in hot climates (Italy, Thailand, etc.)

Reasonable walk-in? Now your taking the allllll the fun out of it! :eek:

cavedoc wrote:I used to make snide comments about the stereotypical numbers of shoes that women had. Then I counted the number of pairs of boots I had and stopped. Still, nowhere near the number that Evan has.

Someday, I going to have build a gear closet or storeroom. BTW- This is my next purchase if I get the money to be on the project :pray: :

:gotdark: <<<<<<<<<<<<I LOVE THEM >>>>>>>>>>>>> :gotdark:
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby machine23 » Jan 8, 2008 2:29 am

Evan wrote:machine23

I just figured out where you are. Man you'll are about to get hit by a wopper of a storm on Friday! A friend of mine lives up at Lake Arrowhead and they are batting down the hatches.

haha.. how right you were. its monday nite and we got hit by a rather nasty windy/rainy/snow storm that lasted like 4 days. it started thursday or friday. my power went out friday. and was out for 2-3 days. but being the newbie caver i am....i have never been so prepared for a power outtage in my life. i just whipped out my sweet caving lights and i was set. i also stocked up on batteries a few weeks ago so i had no problems. i work at kragen auto and we were selling 50 generators a day easy, it was insane. its funny how completely unprepared my town was for it. every store ran out of d-cell batteries for all the hefty maglites people keep around.

as for the boots, when i have the cash (or credit), i will probably invest in a pair of gore-tex merrells. they seem to be the right ones for me for now.
caves rock...no pun intended
machine23
Infrequent Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum