Princeton Tec Apex LED Headlamp

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Princeton Tec Apex LED Headlamp

Postby NZcaver » Jan 28, 2010 4:14 pm

One of the key advantages of the Apex for me is the spaced LEDs. Stenlight has the right idea, unfortunately Fenix does not. Multiple LEDs spaced horizontally seem to really help with depth perception for moving through uneven terrain. It's a kind of binocular vision eye-foot coordination thing. I have "normal" 20/20 vision, but those extra LEDs make moving through a cave much easier for me - especially in breakdown and vertical fissures etc.

Personally, I don't think I could go back to a headlamp with a single LED.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 8, 2010 9:43 pm

tonight i pressure washed my apex at the car wash. I proved beyond a doubt that the method of sealing the apex i posted about some posts ago, will 100% seal the apex from leaking ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tenzin Beck » Feb 8, 2010 11:34 pm

Can you link to the post?
Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been.
Darkness never satisfies. Darkness cannot satisfy. Especially if it takes something away, which it almost invariably does.
Tenzin Beck
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 8, 2010 11:35 pm

its 2 pages back.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: The REAL reason the APEX leaks water

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 8, 2010 11:36 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Shocking find, and I am more shocked no one has ever posted anything about this here, or on the candle power forum. This weekend a friends apex went bad from pulling the battery case apart by the wiring. Basically the power wire (blue) snapped in half inside the housing, causing the power wire to lose continuity. Anyway, I didn't realize the power wire was bad till i completely diassembled the apex. I had the circuit board off of the housing and the wires removed, as well as the wires unsoldered from the battery pack. I noticed that where the wires go into the housings is a plastic grommit that screws in. Upon removing it, I noted compression fittings similar to copper plumbing compression fittings, only made of plastic. Long story short. I put the apex back together after fixing the wire, shoved the wires into the housing, and before I screwed the caps back down, locking the wires in place, I squirted black RTV silicone into the area, then screwed the caps down. some oozed out, some oozed in, but it is now sealed completely.

I then removed the screw in caps from MY apex which floods out all the time, and noted something interesting. The area under the cap was full of mud. The compression fitting on this was very loose and obviously wasnt sealing very well. I cleaned out the dirt, filled it full of silicone, screwed it together and wiped off the excess. I did this to all 3 of my apex's, as they are modified anyway. I also removed the screws from all 3 of my battery packs, filled them with silicone and put them back together. since i removed the rubber O ring gasket from all of the housings and siliconed the housings shut, I should now have 3 100% waterproof apex's.

this
I can't believe no one has done this before, especially those who take the apex's apart, mod them, fix them, etc.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tenzin Beck » Feb 9, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks! :bananabat:
Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been.
Darkness never satisfies. Darkness cannot satisfy. Especially if it takes something away, which it almost invariably does.
Tenzin Beck
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby werewolf » Feb 11, 2010 7:45 pm

Excellent, Chads! That should do it! I never had trouble with my Apex (hasn't gotten too wet) so I haven't messed with it much, and now I'm using the Fenix as primary, but that's just the kind of fixes I like to hear about.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby werewolf » Feb 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Plastic melt glue gun might work, too.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Yeah whatever you got, silicone is cheap though. on a side note. I blasted the fenix hp10 with the pressure washer at the car wash too and it didn't leak either.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Feb 11, 2010 10:13 pm

An update....

I have an old 60 lumen Apex and the 'new' 130 lumen Apex. I've had the 130 for just over a year and it has never been on my helmet yet. Why? The 4 flood leds are REALLY blue on the 130. I like the 'whiter' led color on the 60 much better for caving...even though it isn't quite as bright.

The 130 has been my whatever/take everywhere/everyday light.

(doing my part to keep the Apex thread alive :big grin: )
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 11, 2010 10:23 pm

you can modify the 60 lumen apex to be brighter than the 130 lumen apex for 15 bucks dude.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 12, 2010 5:14 am

Chads93GT wrote:you can modify the 60 lumen apex to be brighter than the 130 lumen apex for 15 bucks dude.

I should really do that mod one of these days. But I don't use the spot much, so I guess it's not a priority. :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 12, 2010 8:31 am

Don't blame you. The spot really coems in handy when you want to see in big passages. ITs amazing how much you use it when you can actually see with it. I tend to use it a LOT, fenix now, simply because i carry LOTS of batteries and I don't mind changing them out. id rather see bright stuff.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Feb 12, 2010 9:33 am

NZcaver wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:you can modify the 60 lumen apex to be brighter than the 130 lumen apex for 15 bucks dude.

I should really do that mod one of these days. But I don't use the spot much, so I guess it's not a priority. :shrug:

I know...me too. I've been working on other projects that are more important than changing out an led.

I wonder if I got a bad 130(the blue tinge on the flood leds). No one else has complained about it.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 12, 2010 11:11 am

Nah, they are all that way.........i simply dont care, lol. Maybe i would care if it gave me headaches, but it doesnt.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum