Question about Maps for GPS

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Question about Maps for GPS

Postby fireman1904 » Dec 30, 2007 12:45 am

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. I want to upload some kind of topo maps to it. I dont have a lot of experience with GPS's. What software do I need to do this. I dont want to spend a fortune but I would like something half way decent.
Mike Woolard
NSS# 49891
HCG, ICS, ISS, SCCi, Chattanooga Grotto
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Re: Question about Maps for GPS

Postby David Grimes » Dec 30, 2007 12:54 am

You can use software like MapSource Topo 2008 or there are several others that work with the etrex but all of them run around $100 so there really is not a cheap solution as far as I know.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby fireman1904 » Dec 30, 2007 7:30 am

Ok. Besides Mapsource what will upload the maps to it? I know mapsource is the one that is endorsed by garmin. Probably the same company. I just know that there is usualy better software for around the same price that will work with things like this. Just curious on any opinions anyone has.
Mike Woolard
NSS# 49891
HCG, ICS, ISS, SCCi, Chattanooga Grotto
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Postby scottn8zus » Dec 30, 2007 11:20 pm

Bieng it is a Garmin GPS you can only install Garmin Mapping Software to it. Like Garmin Mapsource U.S. TOPO.
scottn8zus
New Poster

Name: Scott-Newbie Mammoth Cave Restoration Camp Caver.

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 31, 2007 2:09 pm

I have an Etrex Legend. I use MapSource to put maps INTO my gps. But I bought Topo Virginia for plotting. Last night I dug out my data from AZ (Memorial Day Trip). I didn't want to pay another hundred for AZ for one little trip, so I just used MapSource since I have the whole US (I did buy the extra topo maps--just roads come with the unit, but at least you get the whole US).

Now they let you take the track from your GPS/MapSource and instantly plot it in Google Earth. No profile that I can see, though.

As far as the unit itself... the screen is so darn small, that I doubt you'd gain much by having better maps.
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby FiddleCaver » Dec 31, 2007 4:15 pm

Garmin has made things difficult by making their maps on the GPS kindof proprietary, however it is possible to upload custom maps from other programs. Personally, I use Maptech Terrain Navigator but I suppose that there area several other programs that will do the same thing possibly even for free. Just do a search for Opensource Topo Software or Opensource GIS Software and you'll come up with something. Now for getting the maps on the GPS, here are some instructions for that http://vip.hyperusa.com/~dougs/GPSSM/. As I said, it can be done, it's just not quite plug and play unless you use the Garmin software. To be honest, I researched this before and after discovering how much is involved I decided that it wasn't all that important to have the maps on the GPS after all. I just print off a map if I need one. :grin:
Allen NSS#57424
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 31, 2007 4:28 pm

I meant to post up this image in my last post:

Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Return to Equipment Forum