Lamp Bracket for Helmet

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Lamp Bracket for Helmet

Postby Captain Caveman » Dec 21, 2007 9:12 pm

this is My Headlamp

This is My Helmet

I want to Hard Mount that Light to My Helmet but i am not sure of how to do it. i know that they Make Lamp Brackets. but do they make them for this style light. Any Suggestion.
Mike D'Angelo

NSS# 59507
Captain Caveman
Occasional Poster

Postby FiddleCaver » Dec 21, 2007 9:26 pm

I'd just get rid of the elastic straps, drill some pilot holes in the helmet and screw the light on. Use a zip tie or something to keep the cord out of the way.
Allen NSS#57424
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Postby Dwight Livingston » Dec 21, 2007 9:41 pm

These clips will work well for you.

Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby ian mckenzie » Dec 21, 2007 9:45 pm

Er, if it were me, I'd trade in the helmet for a lighter plastic one. :-) Then I'd buy four plastic strap clips from Petzl, and that'd be it.

Actually the strap clips might work on your existing helmet too.

Not sure about your battery pack; I assume it goes into your pocket or on your hip.

(Edit - Dwight beat me to it while I was typing; those are the ones!)
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby weevil » Dec 22, 2007 12:33 am

i agree with fiddler. screw and ziptie , [those clips arent worth a flip.better to do it right the first time.
weevil
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 49685

Postby David Grimes » Dec 22, 2007 12:52 am

Screws and zip ties are great I actually modded a helmet I have with a headlamp and a 9 LED small flashlight on the side works great when you need extra light or as a backup.

I have a headlamp that I modded to be waterproof and use a battery pack that I bought at Harbor Freight Tools its the exact same design as a petzl zipka (I think) but with more LED's the light actually comes of the mounting plate so I can remove the light and leave the permanent mounted part on the helmet the light only cost me $4.99 and I modded it with brighter LED's still don't have much money in it.

I also have a helmet with a waterproof video camera with the same light setup but they are focused where the camera films. If you ever plan on recording your adventures might want to consider something like that.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Captain Caveman » Dec 22, 2007 12:55 am

ian mckenzie wrote:Er, if it were me, I'd trade in the helmet for a lighter plastic one. :-) Then I'd buy four plastic strap clips from Petzl, and that'd be it.

Actually the strap clips might work on your existing helmet too.

Not sure about your battery pack; I assume it goes into your pocket or on your hip.

(Edit - Dwight beat me to it while I was typing; those are the ones!)

I think i decided on just using some hardwear and zip tieing it to it.

The Battery Pack is Prett Nice it actaully Hook to you Belt i run the cord through my shirt and attach it to my Back. works fine. the light shine up to 100 yards away. Bought it out of England
Mike D'Angelo

NSS# 59507
Captain Caveman
Occasional Poster

Re: Lamp Bracket for Helmet

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Jan 9, 2008 7:21 pm

I have a light just like that, but it is a rayovac or something. My dad cut the straps off and pop riveted it to my helmet(hard hat). I used the battery pack once, but got really sick of the cord running down my side. My dad ordered me a holder for 4 "C" batteries, and i made it work with my light, and tape the pack to the back of my helmet. I really like it that way. Just a suggestion.
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Re: Lamp Bracket for Helmet

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 9, 2008 7:44 pm

hoosiercaver1 wrote:I have a light just like that, but it is a rayovac or something. My dad cut the straps off and pop riveted it to my helmet(hard hat). I used the battery pack once, but got really sick of the cord running down my side. My dad ordered me a holder for 4 "C" batteries, and i made it work with my light, and tape the pack to the back of my helmet. I really like it that way. Just a suggestion.

you wear 4 "C" batteries on the back of your head?? powering a halogen bulb? no wonder you are excited about going carbide! :shock:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Return to Equipment Forum