Quick Question about Princeton Tec Apex

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Quick Question about Princeton Tec Apex

Postby rbryant » Dec 7, 2007 11:58 am

Hi all..I will probably be doing several hours underground tommorow (5-6 hrs). I have used my Princeton Tec a couple of times, and I know it drains batteries fairly fast..so I will have plenty of batteries in reserve. Do I need to bring a spare bulb, and where would I order a spare?
rbryant
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Dec 7, 2007 12:01 pm

The Princeton Tec Apex uses LEDs, not bulbs. as such, you don't need to worry about a spare - ever.

by the way, what setting are you using it on? on the "4 high" setting (the small flood LEDs on the sides), we typically get anywhere between 9 and 12 hours off a fully charged set of NIMH batteries.

in your case, for a 5-6 hour trip, you shouldn't need to bring more than an extra set, although of course it's always a good idea to have more than necessary (and you'll still need 2 alternate sources of light).
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby rbryant » Dec 7, 2007 12:37 pm

xcathodex wrote:The Princeton Tec Apex uses LEDs, not bulbs. as such, you don't need to worry about a spare - ever.

by the way, what setting are you using it on? on the "4 high" setting (the small flood LEDs on the sides), we typically get anywhere between 9 and 12 hours off a fully charged set of NIMH batteries.

in your case, for a 5-6 hour trip, you shouldn't need to bring more than an extra set, although of course it's always a good idea to have more than necessary (and you'll still need 2 alternate sources of light).

Thanks..i forgot it was a LED..whoops! I think you are right about the setting. I used the center light once and only go about 2-3 hours of battery time.
rbryant
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Dec 7, 2007 2:27 pm

rbryant wrote:Thanks..i forgot it was a LED..whoops! I think you are right about the setting. I used the center light once and only go about 2-3 hours of battery time.

the center LED is useful for "whoa, look at that!" kind of stuff, but most people find it much too narrow (and much too power-hungry) for keeping on all the time. plus, you'll blind everybody in your party and no one will go caving with you anymore =)
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Return to Equipment Forum