Lithium guides you?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Lithium guides you?

Postby cavewine » Nov 21, 2005 7:46 pm

I have never used lithium batteries (the non-rechargable kind, AA) before.
I'd like to find out how effective they are in comparison to a regular old alkaline, from someone who uses them (or has in the past) .

Could you tell me:

1. What light you use them in
2. How long the lithiums provide caving-usable light
3. How long alkalines last in the same setup

Your responses (if any :wink: ) will be a big help to me. And be much appreciated.
David Lyons
Former SUOC Cave Chair
Former NCC Trustee
Old Timer in Training
cavewine
Infrequent Poster

Postby Andy Shoun » Nov 22, 2005 11:07 am

I don't have much insight, but I've used lithium AA batteries in lights, but not for caving. I have one of the old small Princeton Tec led headlamps and use it backpacking. Using lithium batteries makes the light lighter, gives much better run time and cold weather performance. I was going on a 4 day winter backpacking trip where weight and cold weather were factors. They worked so well I left the batteries in and they did not go dead until 12 months later after about 30 days of camping use. I use NiH rechargeables for my regular caving light.
-Not all who wander are lost.
Andy Shoun
Frequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Nov 22, 2005 11:53 am

I used to use Lithium AA in my Petzl Mega. The Mega could use either 3 AA's or C's. I found that 3 Lithium AA's lasted about as long as 3 C's. But, the weight was significantly less. 3C's was literally a pain in the neck. Now I use NiMH rechargeables. They are much cheaper.

I still use Lithium AA's in the lights I keep in the truck, since they don't loose their charge very fast and they are not effected by cold temps. Lithium AAA's are available now too. I use those in my wireless thermometer.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby cvr602 » Nov 22, 2005 7:39 pm

Lithium non-rechargeable is the main battery I use for all of my caving gear and camera stuff. I use them in a Duo and I get between 2.5 to 3 times the normal expected range of life by alkalines on bright halogen. They dim fairly fast, but not greatly low. I did however notice, that the light is VERY bright on new batteries compared to alkaline. I suggest that if you have enough money to spend on them, which is around $10 for a 4-pack, then by all means get them. It actually evens out or even lowers the total you spend on batteries if you use Lithium.
Walking into Virgin Borehole in a cave near you!!!
cvr602
Frequent Poster

Postby cavewine » Nov 23, 2005 12:07 pm

Excellent! Sounds like a good value, and ideal for extended trips.
Thanks for the info.
David Lyons
Former SUOC Cave Chair
Former NCC Trustee
Old Timer in Training
cavewine
Infrequent Poster

Postby David_Campen » Nov 24, 2005 3:59 pm

I use Lithium AA cells in my Petzl Duo/8 LED. I can get 8-12 hours from them in near freezing temperatures.

You can see discharge curves for Lithium vs Alkaline AA cells at 0.5 and 1.0 amp drains here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64660
Look about 1/3 of the way down the graphs at the ones titled -"AA Lithium VS Alkaline at 0.5 Amp Rate" and "AA Lithium VS Alkaline at 1.0 Amp Rate".

Also at Candlepower Forums I have seen it mentioned that you can buy the Energizer Lithium AAs at Sam's Club in 12 packs for less than $2.00 per battery - it might have been about $18/12 pack.

If you are a member of Candlepower Forums you can buy BatteryStation branded Lithium AAs for $1.00 each in lots of 20.
http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm
At least one person has mentioned getting a dead cell in the BatteryStation Lithium AAs so it may be advisable to test them before depending on them on a cave trip.
David_Campen
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum