Anyone used the ABC ascenders

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone used the ABC ascenders

Postby David Grimes » Nov 8, 2007 12:56 am

I was looking into buying a new ABC chest ascender and hand ascender with the lever that allows you to descend the rope without removing the ascender. Just wondering if anyone has used these and if they are really so much better than the petzl croll and hand ascenders.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Nov 8, 2007 1:15 am

fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby David Grimes » Nov 8, 2007 1:17 am

thanks for the link I thought I had seen something on here about it but for some reason I could not find the post
David Grimes
Admin

Postby NZcaver » Nov 8, 2007 2:46 am

What is the "hand ascender with the lever that allows you to descend the rope without removing the ascender" that you refer to? Is it also something made by ABC, or are you thinking of a Petzl GriGri or I'D type descender?

I would suggest just getting a pair of ascenders and a decender, and learning to do changeovers like most every other vertical caver. Try searching through the On Rope forum threads for more information.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby David Grimes » Nov 8, 2007 2:54 am

NZcaver wrote:What is the "hand ascender with the lever that allows you to descend the rope without removing the ascender" that you refer to? Is it also something made by ABC, or are you thinking of a Petzl GriGri or I'D type descender?

I would suggest just getting a pair of ascenders and a decender, and learning to do changeovers like most every other vertical caver. Try searching through the On Rope forum threads for more information.

The ABC hand ascender has the same lever as the chest ascender I was more curious to see what people thought of them and the patented lever is their defining characteristic in the item description other than that its identical to the petzl I was not really looking to keep them on the rope while descending.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby NZcaver » Nov 8, 2007 3:04 am

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. Your description made me think of something discussed recently in another thread.

You're talking about if you occasionally need to downclimb with your ascenders, right? If that's the case, you should really "thumb" the top of the cam but NOT use the safety catch (which you're calling a lever). The safety catch is for opening the device and removing it (and yourself) from the rope. More info can be found in this thread here.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Rick Brinkman » Nov 8, 2007 9:59 am

On Rope 1 has a good description and pictures.

ABC Ascenders - On Rope1

Not sure what the lever actually does....

Here's Gary Storrick's Review
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Return to Equipment Forum