Lost light survives 5 yrs in a cave

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Lost light survives 5 yrs in a cave

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 11, 2007 11:57 am

Back on August 14, 2001 I bought a little single LED, AAA battery flashlight to wear on a lanyard around my neck while caving. I settled on an Arc-AAA. It proved to be a great light. I loved it! On August 24, 2002, we were surveying in Lonesome Pine Cave, TN and I lost the light somewhere in the cave. I found the broken lanyard hanging out of my coverall leg. The light and whistle were gone. We searched for a while, but found nothing. I was completely bummed.

Sunday, Sept 9, 2007, over five years later, we returned to Lonesome Pine Cave and found the light in the stream--underwater, about a mile from the entrance. We were on our way out, walking down the stream, I spotted something shiny in the water. I did a double take realizing that it was my long-lost Arc-AAA. I couldn't believe it. I scooped it up and looked it over. It was in pretty good shape. I tried to turn it on. Of course, the battery was dead after five years. I popped in a new battery and it fired right up. Amazing! This thing was rolling around this stream long enough to wear the black finish off and it still works. I did the dance of joy.

This stream sees a lot of water during wet weather, so I imagine that it has been on quite a ride. What a miracle to get it back. It was a great day!
:banana: :woohoo:

Here's what it looked like when I found it:

After a fresh battery, it still works!

My long lost light!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby incavenow » Sep 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Lucky you Scott!! Of all the junk I've found and hauled outa caves over the years, I've yet to find such a nifty lil light that works. It's always great to find some thing you lost and you really beat the odds on this one!!!
:calvin:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby wendy » Sep 11, 2007 6:45 pm

i think i have a light here in florida somewhere, one of those princeton tec scouts, i have yet to be back to look for it, its been almost 5 years now, now with scott's story i have hope again and may go back and look
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby tncaver » Sep 12, 2007 9:42 am

Scott,
I don't see Lonesome Pines Cave listed in my TCS alphabetical
listing. Is this a new cave? I recently saw three vehicles parked
in Fentress County. One had a North Carolina tag and the other
two were from the Knoxville area. Was that your group?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Sep 12, 2007 9:55 am

Scott, you should write to the company and give them a testimonial... bet they'd love to hear how well their light had survived.

Hmm, now if I can have the same kind of luck with my rack that'd be great... sigh. :oops:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 12, 2007 10:26 am

Lonesome Pine is a new cave, not in Fentress Co. We just started the survey. I'll post more about it in the future.

Actually, I already sent the company a testimonial. We'll see if it makes the web page...
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Amazingracer » Sep 12, 2007 10:59 am

Ralph E. Powers wrote:Hmm, now if I can have the same kind of luck with my rack that'd be great... sigh. :oops:

Did you lose your rack in a cave?
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

lost light - expect to see new formation in 10,000 yrs

Postby b@t » Oct 11, 2007 11:42 pm

Sorry to all in advance, I just had to post this. . . .

Last weekend at TAG Cave-In, our family went into Tumbling Rock. This was only the 2nd cave for my 9 y.o son and 11 y.o daughter (each of whom are doing great, by the way with this newfound interest). So, the formations are quite interesting and intriguing to all of us, especially the kids.

In Tumbling Rock we saw a couple of examples of stalagtites that had separated from the ceiling, fallen down, and then subsequently been concreted to the floor.

When my daughter lost her flashlight (a mini Maglight) somewhere along the way (we never did find it), we were kidding around about what might eventually happen to it. Our conclusion was that it would eventually become a new cave formation ----

a Mag-la-mite

:egyptian:

d.b
b@t
Infrequent Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 12, 2007 4:53 am

tncaver wrote:Scott,
I don't see Lonesome Pines Cave listed in my TCS alphabetical
listing. Is this a new cave? I recently saw three vehicles parked
in Fentress County. One had a North Carolina tag and the other
two were from the Knoxville area. Was that your group?

Wahhhhhh-aaaa-yyyyy cool about your light, Scott.

But, hey. This just jumps out at me as a cross between two threads. There's that other thread going about publishing cave locations. I *know* Scott isn't going to publish a cave location here. But it just seems so weird to be reading about complaints of published cave locations in one thread, then over here, reading about wanting to know where a cave is.
:tonguecheek:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby tncaver » Oct 12, 2007 7:39 am

Barbara,
If you are referring to my asking Scott if he was parked in Fentress
County recently, that was not a request for a cave location. I was
simply curious as to who the North Carolina Cavers were. They
were a long way from home while most cavers were attending a
regional caving event.
If you noticed, I did not ask Scott for any more information about
the cave he mentioned, once he said it was not him parked in
Fentress County. I do respect people's projects and secret
cave leads. There are many cavers out there who do not have any
respect for other cavers' projects though.
I hope this clears things up for you.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 12, 2007 12:39 pm

tncaver wrote:I hope this clears things up for you.

It didn't really need clarifying (at least not for me). Did ya notice the tongue sticking out in my smilie?
:tonguecheek:
It was an irony/timing thing. Not a gotcha thing. It wasn't meant as a precise analogy. Just as an opposites thing and the timing was funny (to me anyway). :waving:

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread programming. Let us know more details about your light, Scott.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby CKB69 » Oct 12, 2007 3:39 pm

Go buy a lottery ticket now .... :tonguecheek:

Actually , thats pretty darn :kewl: .
Usually when anything like that is lost in a stream crawl , it's gone for good .
I did however find one of those 6 volt , plastic , "hand lantern" lights on a recent trip , although , I doubt it'l fire up anytime soon .
Slide. Slide on the ice...
CKB69
Frequent Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 12, 2007 5:01 pm

I found a mini-mag flashlight that still worked on my last trip to Groaning. I don't know how long it had been in the cave. It was at the bottom of a pit I was checking out.

On the other hand, I lost a GRMS two-way radio in the same pit and couldn't find it. That's why I was checking out the pit. I had knocked my two-way into it. We looked for quite a long time and never found it. It wasn't on, so I couldn't key the speaker to give me a hint of where it went to.

For you Colorado cavers, I lost it near the beginning of the JC Shortcut, if you happen to find it.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

other gear finds

Postby melody » Oct 17, 2007 11:44 am

Good story Scott... love it.

Hey this could be a neat place to post other gear "finds" in a cave. Once I found a double footloop for a frog system down in one of the Rattling Pit drops. I was glad to add it to my system, and wondered what the caver who lost the gear had to tie together to ascend the main pit. I got home and found out that it had belonged to my husband! (I got to keep it, though) :-)
melody
Infrequent Poster

Postby potholer » Oct 17, 2007 1:00 pm

The last year or two, since getting a brighter light, I've been finding lots of stuff underground. I hardly ever used to find anything, but a spell of luck started when I dropped a maillon derigging a solo trip and went back to look for it but couldn't find it despite an extensive search.
After that, I seemed to start finding stuff all over the place, starting with a nice stainless knife I found the next day in a crawl (which the people ahead of me all missed), and I then began actively looking, especially at pitch bases.

Since then, amongst various trash I've found and removed, I've scored about a dozen maillons, only 2 of which weren't usable, two krabs, (including a large HMS screwgate which was in shop condition - no sign of even the lightest use), a Headlite battery box from the bottom of a dark pool and various deviation slings.

However, the best find was earlier this year.
Going down a long-ish vertical trip, I was second-to-last out of 8 people. While waiting for the final person to descend one of the later pitches, I looked around at the floor and saw a piece of black nylon tape sticking up between large cobbles in the floor. Thinking it was a piece of trash sling, I went to pick it up for the sake of tidiness and found it was the footloop of a Pantin, which once the film of mud had been rubbed off, proved to be almost new.

The context for that find was that some of my kit had previously been taken from a hut by mistake, and when it was returned, my Pantin was missing from my vertical gear, but I hadn't wanted to replace it in case it reappeared (which it eventually did). All down the cave I'd been cursing my missing gear
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum