Carbide storage

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Carbide storage

Postby hardcorecaver » Jul 29, 2007 11:46 pm

I am going to use carbide alot. i was woundering what i should use to store it in and out of the caves? thanks
Life good when you carbide caving.
hardcorecaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Lucas Middleton
NSS #: 56420
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pecos Valley Grotto

Postby Adam Byrd » Jul 30, 2007 11:02 am

somewhere dry
Adam Byrd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56537
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Team Poseidon

Postby cheshire » Jul 30, 2007 11:31 am

Ah... this is one of my favorite questions. There are hundreds of ways for carrying your carbide. But they all have to keep moisture out.

I usually use one of two methods. First, I'll either carry all of my carbide in a baby bottle. I use the lid that it comes with, and then cut the nipple part off of a rubber nipple in order to make a gasket.

I've also used another method where I'll pre-measure my carbide charges. My Mike Lite carries exactly one full film canister full of carbide. They're water resistant enough, but you need to tape the lids on.

Prescription medication containers also make good single-charge containers.

Others have preferred to use vacuum-seal bags to make sure that their carbide is always fresh. Not a bad idea, really, as the moisture in my house is always killing off my carbide a little at a time. Still others use a bicycle tire inner tube, either cutting it into a few sections and tying off either end.

Let us know how it works out for you. It's always good to see another carbide lamp user added to the flock. BTW, what kind of lamp are you using?
Mike Fraley
http://www.caves.org/member/mfraley
cheshire
Infrequent Poster

carbide

Postby chickie hawk » Aug 4, 2007 10:33 pm

good advice just dont tighen the lid on spent carbide in a air tight contaner or bottle
chickie hawk
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 43018

silca packs

Postby JamesCrouch » Aug 5, 2007 6:44 am

Many electronics come with silica gel packs. Save em and use them for anything you want to keep "dry" Go store hopping Wal-Mart, Meijer, any place that sells LARGE electronics and ask if they have anything that has been un-boxed that day... or ask them to save some for ya.

There is this white crystal "kitty litter" that I am not sure is marketed any more. If you see some buy a box. Fill up some pantyhose socks and you have made your own silica gel pack! This may not actually be silica gel but this stuff is supposed to suck up kitty pee. I have use it with great success.

or if you have some money to burn:

http://www.silicapack.com/products.htm

(this site also has instructions on how to recharge silica gel)

The key as others have said it to have an air-tight / water-tight container.

Tupperware is not good enough for long term.

Something with a rubber / silicone gasket.

I use an ammo case filled with plastic bottles that also have gaskets with a couple of my home made whit crystal kitty litter packs.

I don't use this stuff in the cat box because it is translucent and I think that would be nasty)
NSS 37510
Central Indiana Grotto
Louisville Grotto
JamesCrouch
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum