Broken Justrite streamlined

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Broken Justrite streamlined

Postby FiddleCaver » Jun 28, 2007 4:06 pm

Well, I dropped my carbide light and now it seems that water is leaking through the gas tube. I made sure of this by holding the bottom tube opening shut and blowing through the tip end. Air comes out in the water chamber. So, I'm just curious if anyone else has ever had this problem and how to fix it. I assume that I need to remove the top of the water chamber somehow, but this also requires the removal of the water valve. Anyway, any insight could be helpful.
Allen NSS#57424
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Postby Adam Craig » Jun 28, 2007 4:23 pm

From the sounds of it, it's likely that you've either cracked the gas tube or cracked a solder joint. If you're not familiar with soldering, it could be complicated to fix yourself. On the other hand, if you are familiar, it sounds fairly easy to fix.

Your best bet? Either use this lamp as a sacrificial lamp and learn how to solder, or find someone who knows what they're doing. I do my own repairs, and it's not hard to learn. You just risk ruining a lamp, but hey, it alread doesn't work. What have you got lose?!? :wtg:
I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide - R. Waters
Adam Craig
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 48556
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shallow Grotto

Postby cheshire » Jul 1, 2007 9:00 pm

There is another alternative. I remember reading someone on the carbide cap lamp Yahoo mailing list talk about how they've experimented with fixing broken gas tubes.

Usually this means certain doom, but if memory serves correctly, someone has managed to make some headway in remedying this usually fatal injury.

Mike Fraley
http://www.caves.org/member/mfraley
cheshire
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum