GPS recommendations?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

GPS recommendations?

Postby flat6 » Jun 5, 2007 5:19 pm

My birthday is soon, and my baby loves me just enough.

I'd be a new user. And use primarily to locate and document caves, backpacking, roadways, etc.

Looking for quality and value, won't buy the most expensive or the cheapest.

Any advice, comments, links, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated.
flat6
Infrequent Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jun 5, 2007 5:33 pm

I've got a Garmin eTrex Legend. It functions as a GPS, has downloadable topos and highway maps with points of interest (food, gas, etc) (extra charge)... highway directions..

What I really like is you can download the route you took and lay it over Google Earth...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=327
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby gillip » Jun 5, 2007 7:22 pm

I will second Wayne's suggestion for the Garmin e-Trex Legend. I used to have one and it served me well. I would add that if price is a major factor, the original e-Trex (which is a great color-yellow) can be found for under $100. You can download data from this model too, but you will not be able to import maps. We use this model at work. It is very simple, easy to use, and durable. Of course, the same thing can be said for the Legend.
Towards the other end of the price spectrum, the Garmin GPSMap60CX is amazing. The CX uses a removable SD card for memory and the display is color.
Garmin really has impressed me with their customer service. My Legend took an unsceduled swim while canoeing and was not recovered for about 20 minutes. Garmin repaired it at not cost.
JAG

"I think we need more data..."
gillip
Frequent Poster

Re: GPS recommendations?

Postby JoeyS » Jun 5, 2007 8:08 pm

flat6 wrote:My birthday is soon, and my baby loves me just enough.

I'd be a new user. And use primarily to locate and document caves, backpacking, roadways, etc.

Looking for quality and value, won't buy the most expensive or the cheapest.

Any advice, comments, links, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated.

I was actually thinking about starting a thread on this very subject Sunday morning, while trying to find a pit without a GPS. I did find it, however I think it would be great if everyone commented on what they use and why. Mapping vs. non-mapping, color vs. black/white, etc.. If you just want to use one for finding caves with aquired coordinates and marking new finds, etc.., does one really need a 4 hundred dollar GPS?

What is the ideal "caver friendly" GPS unit?

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby volica » Jun 5, 2007 8:24 pm

For some reason GPSes don't work inside cave :(
I use Garmin Legend C, way superior than my previus one, old Legend. 3xbetter battery life, more memory for maps, replaceable micro SD card, color display, faster data transfer.
volica
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 57781

Postby YuccaPatrol » Jun 6, 2007 7:14 am

I've been using GPS since it became available to the general public. I am crazy in love with my Garmin 60csx.

It is a fantastic unit which has color mapping, auto-routing for driving, and microSD card to hold lots of maps.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a newer sirfstarIII receiver. These are incredibly sensitive and make it much easier to get accurate coordinates in less than optimal conditions (tree cover, canyons, etc).

If you get a mapping unit (which I highly suggest), make sure you budget to buy the maps too.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby SpeleoRover » Jun 6, 2007 7:53 am

I bought a half-dozen Garmin GPSMap60's here recently and couldn't be more pleased. Rain, foliage, steep valley walls - it fires up and fixes fast. the new design has a more sensitive antenna apparently.

I had a salesperson talk me out of a more expensive unit to buy this one. :kewl:
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
NSS#: 58276
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby CaveGimp » Jun 6, 2007 8:37 am

I use the basic Garmin eTrex Legend, the one with the blue body. It has a B&W screen, but thats all I need to get to a cave. Its been around for a while, so its not as expensive and is fairly rugged.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Postby YuccaPatrol » Jun 6, 2007 10:11 am

SpeleoRover wrote:I bought a half-dozen Garmin GPSMap60's. . . . the new design has a more sensitive antenna apparently.
\

The new design in the "x" series has a more sensitive receiver than the previous 60 series models.

It is incredible when compared to older units that can't get a lock under trees or in other iffy situations with little clear view of the sky.

These new receivers have basically eliminated the need for external antennas for cars and such. In fact, I can pick up 12 satellites from the basement of my brick house!
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby flat6 » Jun 6, 2007 10:42 am

Thanks all and keep it coming.

Sideline - Yucca Patrol (Andrew?) I'm a Birminghamian and know of you, but don't think we've met. Let's get a cave trip on.

Joey you may know my brother James in Nashville. The Bros. Wood, we sometimes go by. Likewise, let's get a trip on.
flat6
Infrequent Poster

Postby JoeyS » Jun 6, 2007 11:20 am

flat6 wrote:Thanks all and keep it coming.

Joey you may know my brother James in Nashville. The Bros. Wood, we sometimes go by. Likewise, let's get a trip on.

I certainly do. And we certainly will.

So regarding this fancier "sirfstar" antenna;
Are their any non mapping, b/w units with the better reception?

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby YuccaPatrol » Jun 6, 2007 12:08 pm

flat6: if you would like to check out my Garmin 60csx, I'd be happy to let you play with it sometime since you are a neighbor. . .
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Jun 6, 2007 12:29 pm

CaveGimp wrote:I use the basic Garmin eTrex Legend, the one with the blue body. It has a B&W screen, but thats all I need to get to a cave. Its been around for a while, so its not as expensive and is fairly rugged.

ya that's what I have too
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Komebeaux » Jun 6, 2007 5:39 pm

I have a Garmin Foretrex 101. It is a simple device made for tracking routes, setting waypoints, and retracing steps.

It doesn't have any maps in the display, just your path. I have found it very useful in logging cave locations.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby NZcaver » Jun 6, 2007 10:48 pm

FYI - There are already several other threads on the DB that talk GPS advice too.

Including:
What to look for in a GPS
GPS Questions
(I recall seeing other GPS-specific threads, but they were probably in Open Talk and have therefore been deleted over time.)

For what it's worth, I still like my Lowrance handheld GPS (used it today, actually)... even though it's not trendy and I seem to be a lone voice in the wilderness whenever I mention it.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Next

Return to Equipment Forum