Tag Lite

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Tag Lite

Postby CountryCaver84 » Jun 4, 2007 7:11 pm

I am new to this board and I am about to join the NSS since I have caving blood in me. My question is about the Tag Lite. I am in need of updating my caving gear and I have done alot of research on lights and my main 2 choices are the Tag Lite and Sten Light.

I believe my caving friend Van Cain has always used a Tag Lite, but since I don't remember much about it, I would like to get some reviews on it. OnRope1 says that it features a 50,000 cp beam that will last for about 10 hours.

When it comes to caving, I, like every other caver out there, wants a very bright light. Caving is only as good as the amount of light your headlamp puts out. Being able to light up passages and large rooms is always a big plus.

I love the Stenlight even though the price is high, but I am leaning toward the Tag Lite for the moment since it is cheaper. Anyway I could write an entire page on this topic, but my main question is how good of a light is this and are there any pros and cons. :waving:
CountryCaver84
Infrequent Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jun 4, 2007 8:16 pm

I don't know much about the Taglite but I would suggest you also look at the Princeton Tec Apex as a cheaper alternative to the Stenlight, it is a very good headlamp IMO, and is quite popular. There is a very long thread about it here.

There are also some modifcations to improve the light output and to change the batteries. (there have also been some problems with being water proofing largely after being immersed, and cracking but both these can be overcome, see the thread)

That said if it's worth it to you and you can afford it, I don't think anything will beat the Stenlight for caving use.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

TAG lite

Postby pacaver » Jun 4, 2007 9:14 pm

The TAG lite 1 really hurls back the darkness plus it can take a licking and keep on ticking. You have a spare bulb in the head which I believe turns the 10 hour burn time into 17 hours, but with a little less light. The candlepower will give the sten a run for it's money, but you don't have the smooth even lighting that you get with the Sten. I still have mine, but I bought a Princeton Tech Apex and that's become my primary light. In TAG you don't have to worry as much about the bulk and external cable of the TAG light like you do in areas with smaller cave. If you're looking for a lot of light for not too much money you could do worse, or you could spend 3 times the money for a Sten. Either way, those 3 lights are pretty good, just pick the one that you think is best for the type of caving you do.

See you underground! :-)
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Postby Dane » Jun 4, 2007 9:25 pm

I totally agree with FHM and pacaver - any of the three would be a great choice, so whatever fits your budget.

My son just got a Sten at SERA, so he will be using his Apex as his back-up light.

He is really starting to piss me off!!!!
(my "good" light cost about $35 and my back-up was half that!!!)
:crybaby:
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby tallgirl » Jun 5, 2007 6:58 am

Dane wrote:My son just got a Sten at SERA, so he will be using his Apex as his back-up light.

He is really starting to piss me off!!!!
(my "good" light cost about $35 and my back-up was half that!!!)

sounds like you need a new light... or to "borrow" your sons apex... just until the warranty wears off :wtg:
tallgirl
Prolific Poster

Postby CaveGimp » Jun 5, 2007 9:44 am

The TAG Light is a great light, but starting to get out dated as the LEDs are increasing in brightness and the cost os going down. Its hard to kill a TAG Light, but easy to break the bulb, where as with the Sten or Apex it would be very hard to break the "bulbs" Also, having the tail and the lead acid battery on your hip or where ever is a pain. If cost is an issue, go with the Apex. If you can afford the Sten get it. Its rugged and throws a lot of light, but can be dialed down for the tight crawls.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Postby Bil Davis » Jun 5, 2007 11:02 am

I'll agree that both the TAG light and the Sten are good lights. I have both, and my wife uses the TAGlight. I will continue to use my Sten for all caving due to its light weight , size and field of view. After several years of use I have had the cords break internally twice on the TAG.

My wife claims that the Sten gives her problems with depth perception (along with all other LEDs). I have heard this from other folks also. This can be something to consider if you have this problem.
Bil Davis
Infrequent Poster

Postby Dane » Jun 5, 2007 11:13 am

Tell you what TG, why don't you see if YOU can sweet talk the Apex off of him!!!

I'm OK - I have a pair of 1-watt LED's and they do just fine. Most folks don't use the 3-watt in the Apex until they are trying to spy something far away, and then I just stand next to them!!!
Same for the Sten - my two 1-watts are comparable to their's when we are just walking around, with even the field of view being close enough. Again, when they turn up the torch, I just stand behind them and watch!!!

I guess instead of a "TAG Caver", I'm a "TAG-along Caver"!!!!!
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby brianallmotor » Aug 12, 2007 10:34 am

I use a modified version of the Tag Lite. it's powered by a 6volt 7amp sealed led-acid rechargable battery. you can pick up these and the 2amp 6volt charger cheaply at any alarm/security supplier. in the head of the Tag Lite i use a voltage regulator that bumps down the voltage to 4.5V. (plasticote the regulator once i have test leads soldered to it...) the switch on the headlamp is replaced with a standard push-button. i have the choice of 4 brightness', and the regulator dims the bulb up- very important for bulb life. the bulb i use is an HPR50 [5.2V 0.85A 82Lumen] or the lesser HPR55 [5.2V 0.5A 48Lumen]... since these bulbs run at a slightly lower voltage than intended they last even longer! for a battery pack i use a US military ammo pack, just cut out the two cloth clip seperators on the inside. a piece of webbing works as a battery belt.

no expensive OEM batteries... no depth perception problem as with led's... just one big long-range halogen spotlight that looks like a train is comming down the passage!!!

i've used the petzle Duo, petzle carbide generator, corona, and the apex. really nothing compairs to the output of a modified Tag Lite.

i could do a real write-up if you are interested. PM me.

-Brian
brianallmotor
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum