Superbright flashlight mod

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » May 22, 2007 7:55 pm

Realms wrote:That is correct. The SSC P4's. Heh heh I have 3 comming to retrofit my light now :-) mmm 720 lumens of goodness

There has also been a fair few people who have put these in the Apex :kewl: which from reports just about doubles the light output so low puts out about as much light as high on the centre luxeon, apparantly runtime isn't effected much. :woohoo:

So more light, same runtime count me in! :banana:

Realms which bin P4s are you using? 720 sounds a lot from three, X bin? or do you have another trick up you sleeve?
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby CaveGimp » May 23, 2007 8:21 am

Is there a "How To" somewhere on the mod to the Apex? I would love to brighten that up a bit. I normally cave with the 4 LEDs on low. but its nice to have the extra light when needed. :)
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Postby NZcaver » May 23, 2007 7:03 pm

CaveGimp wrote:Is there a "How To" somewhere on the mod to the Apex? I would love to brighten that up a bit. I normally cave with the 4 LEDs on low. but its nice to have the extra light when needed. :)

If there is, someone please post it in the Apex thread.

I think that still holds the record as the longest thread in NSS Discussion Board history - 25 pages and counting... :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Realms » May 23, 2007 8:49 pm

rated lumens is 240 each. so that times 3 equals mmmmmm
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » May 23, 2007 8:59 pm

NZcaver wrote:If there is, someone please post it in the Apex thread.

I think that still holds the record as the longest thread in NSS Discussion Board history - 25 pages and counting... :laughing:

Done although CandlePower forums are down at the moment so you can't get to the links.

Realms wrote:rated lumens is 240 each. so that times 3 equals mmmmmm

Where do you get your LEDs from and how much are they? I haven't seen that higher rated one available, but I haven't looked a huge amount, would these require greater heatsinking than the 91-118 rated ones? would the Apex heatsink be enough? Apparantly it already gets warmish with the 100 lumen ones.
The guy I was going to order from is on holidays now :mad2:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby CaveGimp » Jun 5, 2007 1:59 pm

adleedy wrote:looks like i know what ill be doing tomorrow at work! a trip to wally world and radioshack first!. :kewl:

I finally found a cheap flashlight that would work for this mod. It was a cheap light at the grocery store, no name brand. I used a chisel to open it up to fit the CR123As and put in the new bulb. It is bright, but I'm sure the bulb will burn out soon enough. Total cost was $8.38 plus tax.

$3.99 Flashlight at Fry’s Food and Drug
$1.39 Bulb at Radio Shack
$3.00 3 CR123As at http://www.amondotech.com

The beam is really nasty with the cheap reflector used on the flashlight.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Postby potholer » Jun 5, 2007 2:47 pm

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:
Realms wrote:rated lumens is 240 each. so that times 3 equals mmmmmm

Where do you get your LEDs from and how much are they? I haven't seen that higher rated one available, but I haven't looked a huge amount, would these require greater heatsinking than the 91-118 rated ones? would the Apex heatsink be enough? Apparantly it already gets warmish with the 100 lumen ones.

For the Seoul SSCs, the 240lm is at 1A (~'3 Watts') - the 91-118lm figure for U-bin devices is for running at 350mA.
fuzzy-hair-man wrote:The guy I was going to order from is on holidays now :mad2:

I guess that'll be PhotonFanatic? In my experience, he's a good supplier - one order I placed on a Friday evening (UK Time) arrived the following Wednesday, which is excellent for an international service.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum