Superbright flashlight mod

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby potholer » May 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Oh, I know people were already saying he burned the LED up, it's just that I was thinking it's possible someone might glance at the thread and take away the idea that a 1A-rated regulator would actually limit at an Amp, and therefore might be OK for 1A-capable LEDs (LuxIIIs,Cree XR-Es or Seoul P4s), when in fact, they could end up drawing about as much on a 7805 (ie ~2-2.5A) as they would on an unlimited-current 5V supply.
Possibly the only thing the current limiting would actually protect would be the regulator (especially if the LED failed short-circuit).
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Baazalung » May 19, 2007 5:53 pm

why would you use a flashlight when you have headlights? :looking:
It's better down here than out there...
Baazalung
Frequent Poster

Postby JoeyS » May 22, 2007 7:49 am

Baazalung wrote:why would you use a flashlight when you have headlights? :looking:

Because alot of cavers seem to have a secondary addiction; flashlight collecting :grin:

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby CaveGimp » May 22, 2007 9:39 am

JoeyS wrote:
Baazalung wrote:why would you use a flashlight when you have headlights? :looking:

Because alot of cavers seem to have a secondary addiction; flashlight collecting :grin:

I do not have that addiction, nor did I run to Radio Shack and buy the bulb, only to come home and find my light isn't quite right, and I don't have a large enough drill bit. That's just a Home Depot trip away...

I use a small flashlight (Fenix P3D) to point out formations in a cave, or to light up a lead to see what's down there. My headlamp is my main source of light, but its nice to have another light I can pull out to spot things. Plus a bright light for under $20 is nice since I'm not out money if it breaks, gets lost, or I loan it to a spelunker so they can get out of the cave.

Is there a 12 step program for flashlight addictions?
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Postby JoeyS » May 22, 2007 11:38 am

CaveGimp wrote:I use a small flashlight (Fenix P3D) to point out formations in a cave, or to light up a lead to see what's down there. My headlamp is my main source of light, but its nice to have another light I can pull out to spot things. Plus a bright light for under $20 is nice since I'm not out money if it breaks, gets lost, or I loan it to a spelunker so they can get out of the cave.

Is there a 12 step program for flashlight addictions?

//Hijack/

I have one of those Fenix lights, L2D I think it is... Runs on the two AA batteries. It's quite a bit brighter than my minimag 3 watt, and seems to be built really well. The battery tube on mine appears to be 1/8" thick. Those are some pretty good lights.

/end Hijack//

:grin:

Postby adleedy » May 22, 2007 11:58 am

Realms wrote:lol thats pretty much the conclusion we came to. He burned the LED up. The 1 amp that the regulator provided was way over the limit as mentioned earlier in the thread. The reason it didn't fry right way on the 9 volt is the fact that they typically put out under 700ma of current. Even at this rate the life would have been cut considerbly as the Luxeon 1 watters are happy around the 350ma range.

:exactly:
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby tallgirl » May 22, 2007 12:09 pm

okay i want to mod my minimag and mount it to my helmet, should i go with one of the kits on IMO? and whats the best flashlight mount/led replacement?
Failed gene line :grin:
:bat:
tallgirl
Prolific Poster

Postby CaveGimp » May 22, 2007 12:26 pm

tallgirl wrote:okay i want to mod my minimag and mount it to my helmet, should i go with one of the kits on IMO? and whats the best flashlight mount/led replacement?

Are you looking to go brighter with minimag mod, or better battery run time? If longer run time, but same (mostly) brightness, grab one of the 3 led kits from IMO. If you want to go brighter, either buy one of the new 3-watt mini-mags (~$25), or for really bright get a Fenix (~$50-60). My Fenix P3D, and even the L2D out throw and out shine a Stenlight (unmodified).

To attach to the helmet, I have used both accessory cord, and p-clamps. I have heard that zip ties work pretty good too. Message me if you want some detail on what I have done.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Postby tallgirl » May 22, 2007 1:18 pm

CaveGimp wrote:for really bright get a Fenix (~$50-60). My Fenix P3D, and even the L2D out throw and out shine a Stenlight (unmodified).

thats what i want a bright one where can i get that?
Failed gene line :grin:
:bat:
tallgirl
Prolific Poster

Postby CaveGimp » May 22, 2007 1:29 pm

http://www.Fenix-Store.com The P3D is $6150. It uses 2 CR123A batteries. The L2D CE is $56.50 and uses 2 AA batteries. They are both very bright, the P3D is slightly brighter, but harder to find batteries.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Postby adleedy » May 22, 2007 1:33 pm

correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt that light only be brighter than a sten on strobe mode?, who can cave on strobe lol
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaveGimp » May 22, 2007 2:24 pm

The Stenlight has an overall output of 85 lux at 1 meter, and the throw is 39.62 lux. The P3D has an overall output of 90 lux, and a throw of 55.22. The L2D CE has an output of 88 lux, and a throw of 46.90 lux.

The strobe mode is the same bightness as the turbo mode which solid light. The Stenlight was tested against an L2D in SP a few weeks ago, and then tested against a P3D this past weekend in Peppersauce. The Sten wasn't as bright, nor did it throw as well.

That being said I still feel the Stenlight is an amazing light and the best cave light out there. If they decided to update the Sten with the Cree or Seoul LEDs the Sten would be much brighter and last longer. I can't wait until the passaround Sten makes it out to AZ so we can compare.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Postby adleedy » May 22, 2007 2:33 pm

CaveGimp wrote:The Stenlight has an overall output of 85 lux at 1 meter, and the throw is 39.62 lux. The P3D has an overall output of 90 lux, and a throw of 55.22. The L2D CE has an output of 88 lux, and a throw of 46.90 lux.

The strobe mode is the same bightness as the turbo mode which solid light. The Stenlight was tested against an L2D in SP a few weeks ago, and then tested against a P3D this past weekend in Peppersauce. The Sten wasn't as bright, nor did it throw as well.

That being said I still feel the Stenlight is an amazing light and the best cave light out there. If they decided to update the Sten with the Cree or Seoul LEDs the Sten would be much brighter and last longer. I can't wait until the passaround Sten makes it out to AZ so we can compare.

Right, the passaround sten has been modded with seoul P4's if im thinking right
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Realms » May 22, 2007 5:46 pm

That is correct. The SSC P4's. Heh heh I have 3 comming to retrofit my light now :-) mmm 720 lumens of goodness
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JoeyS » May 22, 2007 7:14 pm

Realms wrote:That is correct. The SSC P4's. Heh heh I have 3 comming to retrofit my light now :-) mmm 720 lumens of goodness

I was having a conversation with another caver today, and we both agreed, in many cases,there is such a thing as too much light. When I was using that stenlight mod last week in the narrow confines of a canyon cave here in Nashville, someone offered to smear some mud on the lense of my light (and it was only on the medium setting). I took that as a polite suggestion :grin:
That being said, caves like Rumbling Falls, Camps Gulf, etc. deserve all the lumens you can muster, imo. It's just important to remember that alot of cavers are going to continue using dimmer proximity lighting and therefore their pupils have adjusted accordingly (for dimmer light).
Just something to consider.

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum