Levi's...just not the same.

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby copelandcaver7 » Apr 18, 2007 6:39 am

I have been usung softball pants, they are polyester, flexible and really work quite well.
copelandcaver7
Occasional Poster

Postby erebus » Apr 18, 2007 11:05 am

Caver1402 wrote:I tried to buy a pair of coveralls at Sears once ...:-)

They do make them in smaller sizes; my wife is your height, and we got some for her. The Dickies coveralls have a higher cotton content than the work pants, though.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby Rick Brinkman » Apr 19, 2007 10:58 am

I've been wondering how motocross pants would work. They are a little pricey though.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby anndr0id » Apr 20, 2007 4:47 pm

I really like BDU's. They are cheap, hold up well, and have good pocket space.
anndr0id
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Apr 20, 2007 11:28 pm

anndr0id wrote:I really like BDU's. They are cheap, hold up well, and have good pocket space.

Ditto on that... though I got lucky once and found a pair that not only had a heavy duty brass zipper (instead of buttons) they wore like iron. I wore them to every-single-caving-backpacking-hiking-camping-anything outdoors trip for over 8 years and only then did they start wearing thin around the knees and seat. I've not found any pair like them since. Just one of those lucky purchases that paid for itself for years to come.
MAN! what I wouldn't give to have a pair like those again. On wet caving trips they got soaked but once I was out of the water for over 10 minutes they dried up... totally amazing. A reservist friend of mine saw those and was jealous of the zipper and said: "...they're probably an officer's special order issue..." :rofl:
But I have two pair of new (used) ones and look forward to caving in them here in TAG... I've stopped liking jeans for caving due to they're just not as tough as they used to be... and that's sad.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Bobatnathrop » Apr 21, 2007 5:22 pm

Hm I dont really wear jeans at all. I wear a pair of off brand Carharts what work really good, they are about half the price and seem to hold up better than the brand name Craharts. After about a year and half of wearing them to work and caveing they are starting to get some holes in the seat, but they should be good for at least 6 more months.
Bobatnathrop
Frequent Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Apr 21, 2007 9:45 pm

This is a sad reality not only with our general clothing manufacturers, but also with those companies that manufacture the gear we take into the outdoors and trust our lives with.

Typically, someone clever starts a business building very high quality gear. THey make a name for themselves because of the quality and design of the gear they make themselves. People who need this gear spread the word that this is good stuff. Then the brand name becomes "cool". Manufacturing gets shipped overseas and the gear produced becomes a shadow of what once was. . . ..

Good examples of what was once quality American made gear but is now nothing but a fashion statement label on the same old Chinese junk:

Patagonia
North Face
Mountainsmith
Mountain HardWear
The list goes on and on. . . .

I have some quality vintage pieces of gear from all of these companies which continue to serve me well, but probably won't ever purchase gear from them again.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby graveleye » Apr 22, 2007 10:29 am

This was really the point of my first post- Levis used to be a high quality product. They were consistent and durable and now they are pretty much cheap junk.
I wear blue jeans - maybe not always in a cave, but that is my preferred pants to wear. I hate it, but I have to find something else to wear now because I can't put up with poor quality.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Komebeaux » Apr 22, 2007 2:36 pm

I wear polypro pants and t shirt under a pair of cotton Dickies-like coveralls. I sewed velcro to the cuffs of the arms and legs to I can close them up tight to my wrists and ankles.

More on topic, I know exactly what you mean by the Levis. I had a pair of the US made ones that I wore for about 5 years. When they finally became too threadbare to wear anymore I bought a new pair at Sears. Same style, same size, but made in Mexico. They fit ok and eventually broke in and are close to what the old ones felt like. I little later, I cashed in my points at Dicks Sporting goods on another pair of Levis. Once again, same style, same size, but made in Indonesia. Despite being the same size, the legs are a good 1.5 - 2 inches shorter than the other pair.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby JoeyS » Apr 22, 2007 8:20 pm

YuccaPatrol wrote:This is a sad reality not only with our general clothing manufacturers, but also with those companies that manufacture the gear we take into the outdoors and trust our lives with.

Typically, someone clever starts a business building very high quality gear. THey make a name for themselves because of the quality and design of the gear they make themselves. People who need this gear spread the word that this is good stuff. Then the brand name becomes "cool". Manufacturing gets shipped overseas and the gear produced becomes a shadow of what once was. . . ..

Good examples of what was once quality American made gear but is now nothing but a fashion statement label on the same old Chinese junk:

Patagonia
North Face
Mountainsmith
Mountain HardWear
The list goes on and on. . . .

I have some quality vintage pieces of gear from all of these companies which continue to serve me well, but probably won't ever purchase gear from them again.

I know what you mean but I think North Face leads the way. They were bought out several yrs ago by a larger umbrella corporation. Funny, they sell tenfold the amount of clothing now, at the same price, but now it costs them half as much to produce (it may still be rugged, I don't know, but seeing it on every tweenie at the mall sure makes it look less tough :laughing: )

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Apr 22, 2007 8:45 pm

I don't have any North Face stuff, but my Mountain Hardware tent seems to do me just fine...

I probably still have a pair of Levi's somewhere too - I just don't wear jeans much, if at all, any more. Must be a climate thing. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby gillip » Apr 22, 2007 9:30 pm

If you are looking for incredibly tuff jean type pants, try the jean type Royal Robins. I think that they may beat Carharts. I used to were them when I did land surveying and they held up very well to briars, barbed wire and the like. I still have and wear every pair that I have owned. The drawback is that they are quite expensive.
JAG

"I think we need more data..."
gillip
Frequent Poster

Postby anndr0id » Apr 23, 2007 9:14 am

Ralph E. Powers wrote:Ditto on that... though I got lucky once and found a pair that not only had a heavy duty brass zipper (instead of buttons) they wore like iron. I wore them to every-single-caving-backpacking-hiking-camping-anything outdoors trip for over 8 years and only then did they start wearing thin around the knees and seat. I've not found any pair like them since. Just one of those lucky purchases that paid for itself for years to come.
MAN! what I wouldn't give to have a pair like those again.

I have a pair just like that. Try ebay or froogle and you can probably find them again... a quick search brings up ultra force, which I am pretty sure the brand of mine. :-)
anndr0id
Infrequent Poster

Postby jamesraykenney » Apr 25, 2007 5:25 pm

bndgeek wrote:
wendy wrote:how bout polyester in caves? I found some pants at goodwill, that are polyester like running pants on the outside, and on the inside they are like a men's swimming suit, which i thought was weird, but anyway, i thought i'd give them a go at caving, figured they would be good for wet and muddy caves. jeans and cotton pants get heavy when wet and don't dry quickly

I haven't found polyester to be the most durable. One time my boyfriend and I were in a cave and when my pants ripped right down the back. We were only half way in and we decided to keep going, but the whole time I was terrified we'd see other people and they'd notice my totally exposed backside :oops:

Thankfully we didn't see anyone else, but by the time we got out of there my butt was freezing. and muddy and gross.

Two people alone in a cave :shock: That's a no-no you know... :argue:
:rofl:
jamesraykenney
Infrequent Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum