Pickup truck tents

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Pickup truck tents

Postby graveleye » Mar 28, 2007 9:50 am

I am looking for a pickup truck tent that i can put in the bed of Big Red (98 Chevy Silverado - full-sized, but regular cab). I've seen plenty out there, but I have one of those stainless steel tool-boxes behind the cab that I am not willing to part with. Any ideas? I am hoping to find one that will just fit down over that toolbox.

Does anyone else have a pickup tent? How have they worked for you?
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 28, 2007 10:01 am

I think they are more trouble than they are worth. The ones that I have seen have all leaked. They have straps and bungees going everywhere. A pain to put up. It's fast, easier and drier to set up a tent on the ground. (can you tell I don't care for these truck tents?) Hard caps/shells seem to be the caver standard. Mine has never failed me. No set up, not take down, no drying it out after the trip.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Evan G » Mar 28, 2007 10:26 am

Make sure if you get a shell that it is carpet lined. If you stay in the back, condensation will build up and the carpet will keep it from dripping down on you.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby graveleye » Mar 28, 2007 10:29 am

yea... I see your point, and I wouldnt mind a hardshell, but I do a lot of hauling and it gets in the way... then there is the toolbox too that i would have to remove. Even if I didnt have the toolbox, a shell would be in the way most of the time that I wouldnt be camping. My truck also has a corrugated stainless steel liner around the top and sides. Pulling that out would leave the bed full of holes. It looks nice with the heavy duty box and liner anyway.

I'm actually considering manufacturing something to work.. maybe one of those temporary tarp garages to put over the whole truck, then rig up a fly over the bed.

This may sound strange, but there is probably only one place I will use it and although I am allowed to camp there, I have been told to not leave any evidence of camping there (clearing, campfire ring etc), so pretty much the only way I can stay the night is in my truck.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 28, 2007 10:43 am

graveleye wrote:My truck also has a corrugated stainless steel liner around the top and sides.

Corrugated?????

You could build a removeable plywood platform that would rest on top of the bed/toolbox that you could set up a regular tent on. Or you could get a hammock. :banana:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby Evan G » Mar 28, 2007 10:48 am

Or build a teardrop trailor
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Mar 28, 2007 10:53 am

YA corrugated like this:

The removable platform thing would be cool, but it would be a long tumble if you woke up in the middle of the night to take a leak. :-)
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Evan G » Mar 28, 2007 11:24 am

Ahh, Diamond plate or also known as tread plate

Kargo Master Rack? http://www.kargomaster.com/

I have the rack on my truck and it works very well. It has a 1700 lbs capacity and you could easily rig a tarp on it.

Last edited by Evan G on Mar 28, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 28, 2007 11:31 am

:rofl:

This is corrugated:

Evan: nice rack! :shock:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby graveleye » Mar 28, 2007 12:08 pm

:shock: I'm in the metals industry too. I guess we lump all bent sheet metal together.

Its just a liner though, not a rack or anything. If my truck wasnt covered in pollen and bug guts right now, I would take a picture of it.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby bigalpha » Mar 28, 2007 12:25 pm

I don't have a truck, but I think Evan's idea would benefit you the most; especially if it's removable. You definitely could rig up a tarp to that pretty easy.

Or you could just pitch your bag in your bed, then just bungee a tarp over the whole bed and be done with it!

(btw: I wanna see your truck!)
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Mar 28, 2007 1:01 pm

its nothing special really, but I like it a lot. I'll take a picture of it next time I get it clean. Its just a simple 1500, regular cab. I just put some Goodyear Wranglers on it, so it's looking pretty sturdy now. I plan to get dual exhaust put on it soon for the heck of it... mainly because it has a 5.7L V8, and I know that it has the ability to growl.

Now, this is my other car, and my better half. (thats my old POS Blazer to the right - got rid of that sucker finally)

only 40,000 miles on it. This car will flat out haul buggy. You have to be careful or it will get out from under you. It drives like a racecar, which is good and bad. Its tight, and you feel every bump in the road, but its more responsive than anything else I have ever driven. And yes, it will go 190mph, not that I've done that :question: , but I admit to having it well over 100mph a few times, and there was plenty left.
This is NOT a caving car though, but I have used it to get me to various campgrounds.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Herman Miller » Mar 28, 2007 1:39 pm

bout the same as my corvette graveleye, but I get to the "cave" in my '83 CJ-5 Jeep :)

BTW buy a nissan xterra not only is it a great agile SUV with plenty of room to car camp in, evidently you can rig to it and drop a pit as well lol
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby bigalpha » Mar 28, 2007 1:50 pm

whoooooo! would ya look at the legs ... errrrrr ... hoodscoop on her ... urm ... on that car?

Every car/truck is special! Have you seen my pimp mobile?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Herman Miller » Mar 28, 2007 1:51 pm

lol i was going to keep my comments to myself but since BA spilled his guts, I'll have to agree with the above comments as well :)
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Next

Return to Equipment Forum