Pickup truck tents

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 30, 2007 7:14 pm

werewolf wrote:Fuzzy - Did they sell many of those VW Combis in Australia? I don't recall ever seeing one before here (USA).

Yep, lots they were and still are the quintessential hippie and 60's surfer vechile most came as a van (many were fitted out as campers) the utes (trucks if you prefer) there are less of but there are still a couple kicking around.

Here's another photo of a combie I find ammusing:
Although I prefer the mini. :kewl: The mini was competeing in Targa Tasmania a famous historic and modern car rally run every year.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby werewolf » May 2, 2007 11:28 pm

There were lots of VW vans and campers sold here in the USA, but I don't think the combis were ever imported here. Believe they originally called the VW bus the Microbus. John Muir, the author of the greatest do it yourself car repair book in history, drove a microbus.

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-A ... 260&sr=8-5

My '68 Super Beetle had 300,000 miles on it but rust killed it. The engine and trans. were still fine.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » May 2, 2007 11:55 pm

werewolf wrote:There were lots of VW vans and campers sold here in the USA, but I don't think the combis were ever imported here. Believe they originally called the VW bus the Microbus.

:doh: I think we are talking about the same thing only the utilities may not have come out in the US we called them all kombis (I spelt it wrong) whether they were utilities or vans or campers etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_2

werewolf wrote:My '68 Super Beetle had 300,000 miles on it but rust killed it.
Pity, rust kills minis too and you should se the floor on my moke :hairpull:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum