Pickup truck tents

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 2, 2007 8:58 pm

werewolf wrote:Yeah, TW, I know there are companies like that doing conversions, but as far as I know you can't even get a van from the factory with 4WD, so if you want 4wd plus the rest of the modifications it will be very very expensive, maybe triple the price of the new van, and then who knows about the quality and warranty.

Why don't they make 4WD vans? If they did and it was just a box it should be relatively inexpensive to just add screened windows. That's all I'd need, abig flat space and ventilation. Until then I'm happy with my pickup truck and shell combo.

I don't know if you get them in the US but you could try a Toyota LandCruiser Troop Carrier, The Land Cruisers are what most of the farmers out west and up north (Australia) drive and Toyotas and particulary LandCruisers have a good reputation in Australia.
They are a pretty basic 4wd but by all reports as tough as nails otherwise our cockies (slang for farmers) wouldn't use them.

For some reason from what I have seen they aren't all that popular in the US. Maybe they aren't big enough, you guys have some ENORMOUS utes and 4wds :shock:

These are also popular for converting to camper vans :kewl:

http://www.4wdonline.com/Toyota/70.html (scroll down)

If I got a 4wd it'd be one of these and failing that a LandRover Defender both are nice basic 4wds not these soccer mum things. :boxing:

I don't know if you can get them in auto though almost everyone in Australia drives a manual so it's not an issue, until 5 - 6 years ago a automatic 4wd would have been almost unheard of.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Evan G » Apr 2, 2007 10:22 pm

Looks like an extended version of the Nissan Patrol. We have a few 5-door Land Crusier around town but nothing like that. I just saw a Tomb Raider edition Land Rover D130 the other day here. I'd take a Cruiser over a Disco anyday.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 2, 2007 10:49 pm

Evan wrote:Looks like an extended version of the Nissan Patrol. We have a few 5-door Land Crusier around town but nothing like that. I just saw a Tomb Raider edition Land Rover D130 the other day here. I'd take a Cruiser over a Disco anyday.

Nissan Patrol! :hairpull: That's Blasphemy, go wash your mouth out with soap :kidding:, Nissan Patrols are OK and are probably the nearest competitors to the LandCruisers, but Cruiser's are better IMO. (But I can't afford the fuel for a 4wd anyway)

Yep, it get's a bit confusing they are all LandCruiser's(5 door, tray top, and troop carrier) (Toyota trading on the name I suspect) ie there is also a tray top version similar to the troopy. Prado's are also use(d) the name LandCruiser too. :roll:

Disco = Land Rover Discovery?
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Apr 2, 2007 11:03 pm

Disco = Land Rover Discovery?

Yep, fuzzy.

Nissan Patrol! :Hair pull: That's Blasphemy, go wash your mouth out with soap :just kidding:, Nissan Patrols are OK and are probably the nearest competitors to the LandCruisers, but Cruiser's are better IMO. (But I can't afford the fuel for a 4wd anyway)

:rofl: Originally the Cruisers(all steel) where cheap versions of the Land Rover (all aluminum,last longer) and then Nissan comes out with a cheap version of the cheap version "the Patrol" :rofl:

Just say I understand fuzzy .... well Ooops way :off topic:
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Apr 2, 2007 11:07 pm

Here is something else to think about:

[center]http://www.flippac.com/[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]
I have seen a few of these and they are very nice.[/center]
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby werewolf » Apr 3, 2007 1:18 am

Yeah, they've got an all fancied up version of the Toyota Land Cruiser here -

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/index.html

Look at the price on the damn thing! And where would you fit in it to sleep? the original Land Cruisers, back in the 70's, were nice jeep-like vehicles.

Incidentally, I took a look at the brand new Toyota Tundra big pickup truck and I was exremely disappointed. All chromed and glitzied up and I can't even fit in the gigantic thing because the headroom is too short and the windshield is too low!
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 3, 2007 1:46 am

werewolf wrote:Yeah, they've got an all fancied up version of the Toyota Land Cruiser here -

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/index.html

Look at the price on the damn thing! And where would you fit in it to sleep? the original Land Cruisers, back in the 70's, were nice jeep-like vehicles.

Yep, they are $$$$, but they aren't the ones I'm talking about, the troopy and the tray back are still reasonably simple and rugged, but it seems they don't sell them over there. :sad: [EDIT] Oops the troopys and tray back(up to $59000AU) aren't much cheaper than the 100 series wagon($60000AU). And they are all V8s they used to be a straight 6, so if I couldn't afford the fuel before I definately can't now! [/EDIT]

werewolf wrote:Incidentally, I took a look at the brand new Toyota Tundra big pickup truck ......
I never knew they existed until I was in the US a few months back, I couldn't believe the size of the things! :shock:.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 3, 2007 3:53 am

werewolf wrote:the original Land Cruisers, back in the 70's, were nice jeep-like vehicles.

Ah, the memories! :grin:

The first vehicle I ever owned was one of these:

The 1969 Toyota Land Cruiser, with a fiberglass roof and steel body (rust included). Mine was bright red with off-road tires, and was in fairly "rugged" shape unlike the model in the photo. It did me (and my friends) well for a few years - I never really camped in the vehicle, but I did use it as an anchor point once or twice. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby werewolf » Apr 18, 2007 1:17 am

There ya go!

I saw this strange little old low-slung VW semi-pickup truck-type thing parked before. The license plate indicated that it was a 1961 model, whatever it was.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 18, 2007 1:43 am

werewolf wrote:There ya go!

I saw this strange little old low-slung VW semi-pickup truck-type thing parked before. The license plate indicated that it was a 1961 model, whatever it was.

You don't mean a Combi do you? :roll:

fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby werewolf » Apr 19, 2007 3:25 am

Yeah, that's it!
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby tallgirl » Apr 30, 2007 2:48 am

tallgirl
Prolific Poster

Postby JoeyS » Apr 30, 2007 7:36 am

tallgirl wrote:http://www.rei.com/product/696121?vcat=REI_SEARCH

very low impact tent

How does this work in one's truck?

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby werewolf » Apr 30, 2007 10:58 am

Not for a truck I think. I never slept in a hammock. How hard is it to get in and out of, especially with the mosquito netting and/or rain fly rigged?

Fuzzy - Did they sell many of those VW Combis in Australia? I don't recall ever seeing one before here (USA).
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby tallgirl » Apr 30, 2007 3:54 pm

you seemed very hesitant to make any major modifications to your truck. with a hammock tent you don't even have to clear the land to get a flat surface to pitch a tent(pain in the ass) plus its not all that expensive and I can only imagine what a custom built car tent would cost you.
tallgirl
Prolific Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum