Joop Boots

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Mark620 » Mar 22, 2007 6:38 am

JoeyS wrote:You seem to know alot about Mark, Mark... :tonguecheek:

I cave with him quite frequently.
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby tagcaving » Mar 23, 2007 9:21 am

Mark made an order late last year. He may have a few boots left over.

The first time you walk on a steep mud bank in these boots you will be amazed. While everyone is hanging on for dear life you can just walk like normal. They are like a mudtire for caving.
To The Bitter End,
Andy Porter, 26258FERL

tagcaving
Occasional Poster

Postby Mark620 » Mar 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Last time I was at Camps gulf bore hole no one could stand because the mud was so slick. It was like everyone had to learn to walk all over again.
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby chrismc » Mar 30, 2007 7:26 pm

I am interested in some of these "Joop Boots". Can someone that has Mark's contact info have him shoot me an email?

*EDIT* Got 'em.
Last edited by chrismc on Oct 2, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrismc
Occasional Poster

Name: Chris
NSS #: 45314

Postby Caver1402 » Apr 2, 2007 12:35 pm

Does anyone know if Mark is okay? I still haven't heard back from him ... I know people get busy, but it's been a couple weeks since I sent over my "footprints" to him.
Laura J. Lexander
NSS #52727 / Affiliated with the WCG, NNG, and IKC
CRF Eastern Operations Personnel Officer
http://lexanderfamily.com - Updated 07/28/09
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Laura J. Lexander
NSS #: 52727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Postby wendy » Apr 2, 2007 12:38 pm

Caver1402 wrote:Does anyone know if Mark is okay? I still haven't heard back from him ... I know people get busy, but it's been a couple weeks since I sent over my "footprints" to him.

Mark has a temporay new e-mail address, I'll PM it to you.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Caver1402 » Apr 2, 2007 1:51 pm

Thanks! :woohoo:
Laura J. Lexander
NSS #52727 / Affiliated with the WCG, NNG, and IKC
CRF Eastern Operations Personnel Officer
http://lexanderfamily.com - Updated 07/28/09
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Laura J. Lexander
NSS #: 52727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

My new email address

Postby mjoop » Apr 9, 2007 12:38 pm

Hi fellow cavers,

I am still importing the Etche cave boots from France. But I was recently let go from my job at Shaw Environmental during a large RIF, so my email address is now at home (only viewed at nights once employed again). The address is cavexplorer@charter.net. My home address and phone number are in the NSS Members Manual. I just received an offer for a new job in the same business, so don't worry about me not being able to continue to import the boots. I start on April 16th.

For those who are interested in the "Joop Boots", the best method for long-distance fitting is to email or mail an accurate trace of one of your socked (normal socks) feet, being careful to not tilt the pen inward as you round your toes and heel, giving a false length. Or you can place a sheet of paper against a wall (with no 1/4-round molding) or door jam, put your foot on it with your heel against and perpendicular to said object, make a mark on the paper at the end of your longest toe, and then measure in centimeters the distance between the edge and the mark and email me the measurement. The reason why I cannot simply use your American shoe size is because Etche boots come in whole centimeter sizes only, which do not correspond to shoe sizes. I have to determine which whole centimeter size would work best (allowing for toe room), and if the width will work (which is why I prefer the trace). Or if you see me at any caving event, I can measure you personally.

As far as getting the Etche Mic Canyon boots from an online distributor, feel free, but you will probably pay more. I only charge what it cost me to buy them and what it cost me to send them to you. I am doing this for 2 reasons: to get American cavers exposed to the benefits of rubber cave boots through word of mouth experience, and to do my part for the caving community. I will not sell them at cost forever. I plan to start a caving equipment company, selling only original designs, and then I will have to sell the boots (or an improved facsimile thereof) for a profit.

Mark Joop
mjoop
Infrequent Poster

Name: Mark Joop
NSS #: 46846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pine Mountain Grotto

Picture of the Mic Canyon boot

Postby mjoop » Apr 9, 2007 12:56 pm

I forgot to add this picture of a Joop Boot, since my last one was on the old forum and is archived. The wellies have the same deep-lug sole, but are not lace-up, and come as high as 35 cm, measuring from inside the boot. You can also go to their website at http://www.etchesecurite.com, under Clark model.

Mark Joop
mjoop
Infrequent Poster

Re: My new email address

Postby JoeyS » Apr 10, 2007 10:25 pm

mjoop wrote:... I am doing this for 2 reasons: to get American cavers exposed to the benefits of rubber cave boots through word of mouth experience, and to do my part for the caving community. I will not sell them at cost forever. I plan to start a caving equipment company, selling only original designs, and then I will have to sell the boots (or an improved facsimile thereof) for a profit.

Mark Joop

Hey Mark, It's great to hear that you're taking action to a niche demand that's in need of clever capitalists. I hope you have some plan to tackle the knee pad demand too (hint hint..). I don't have your boots, but Aimee does, and I can personally attest to their sure-footedness because I lent my shoulder to her as a foot hold while exiting Gourdneck a few weeks ago, and I thought God Himself had put the Vulcan Death Grip on me. (she loves em, of course)..

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: Picture of the Mic Canyon boot

Postby driggs » Apr 11, 2007 12:41 am

mjoop wrote:The wellies have the same deep-lug sole, but are not lace-up, and come as high as 35 cm, measuring from inside the boot. You can also go to their website at http://www.etchesecurite.com, under Clark model.

Mark, are you now importing the Clark (wellie) model also? If so, I'm ordering a pair ASAP... the treads on those soles are the best I've tried, I just need more than ankle height!
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Re: Wellies

Postby mjoop » Apr 11, 2007 1:31 pm

driggs wrote:
mjoop wrote:The wellies have the same deep-lug sole, but are not lace-up, and come as high as 35 cm, measuring from inside the boot. You can also go to their website at http://www.etchesecurite.com, under Clark model.

Mark, are you now importing the Clark (wellie) model also? If so, I'm ordering a pair ASAP... the treads on those soles are the best I've tried, I just need more than ankle height!

Yes, I have always been importing the Clark wellie, it's just that not many people ask for it. I use both types of boots :exactly: (lace-up and wellie), as both have their place. I have 3 pairs of wellies coming on the next shipment (spoken for). Just email or mail me your trace, and I'll get them on the next order.
mjoop
Infrequent Poster

Postby Dangerjudy » Apr 16, 2007 6:28 pm

Used my Joop boots last weekend in Tumbling Rock. They are the stickiest soles I've ever used, period. Love 'em!~
Birmingham Grotto, NSS 49720. "I reserve the right to be ridiculous." bono
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Re: Joop Boots

Postby adleedy » Feb 3, 2008 7:28 pm

Anyone have mark joops email ? the one in the members manual doesnt work.
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Re: Joop Boots

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 4, 2008 8:51 am

adleedy wrote:Anyone have mark joops email ? the one in the members manual doesnt work.

The address he uses to subscribe to TAGnet is cavexplorer at charter dot net.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum