Brunton L3 headlamp

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Brunton L3 headlamp

Postby Dave Bunnell » Mar 3, 2007 10:22 pm

A year and a half ago I got a Silva L3 light from IMO, nice variable power 3-watt LED headlamp. I liked the output of the light and the design but felt the switch really sucked, as it was hard to turn on with bare hands, much less cave gloves. At one point it fell in a shallow pool, and the light basically short-circuited and had to be returned to the manufacturer.

I'd intended to write a review for the NSS News but then IMO discontinued it, and since no one else seemed to have it, I shelved the idea. Now I notice that Amazon, for one, is carrying a "Brunton L3 headlamp" which appears to be the exact light but with a different name. It's a bit pricey for a single 3-watt light (99.00) but I'm wondering if anyone has acquired one of these and what they think of it. I'm curious whether they've improved on the switch, or made the "water resistance" any better.

Dave
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Re: Brunton L3 headlamp

Postby hank moon » Mar 4, 2007 1:27 pm

Dave Bunnell wrote:It's a bit pricey for a single 3-watt light (99.00) but I'm wondering if anyone has acquired one of these and what they think of it. I'm curious whether they've improved on the switch, or made the "water resistance" any better.

not really a response to your question, but here's the current line:

http://www.brunton.com/catalog.php?cat=11

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Mar 4, 2007 3:29 pm

It seems expensive especially when compared with the Princeton Tec Apex which has some better design features at a much lower price (additional lower wattage LED's, heat sink, and improved water resistance).

I do like the capability to use a 4 C battery pack, but can't imagine that is something I would really need.

Brunton's manual says not to submerge it, and the Apex should survive brief dunkings (although cavers have proved that this is not always the case).
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum