Modified Stenlight Passaround for Stenlight users.

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby JonSidneyB » Jul 11, 2007 2:00 pm

Hello,

Sorry I have been missing for awhile. I recently moved and the move did not go that cleanly and I have been commuting 800 miles to work on selling my old house. It closes in a few days.

Does anyone else want to see this light? Who has it now?

Thanks guys :)
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby driggs » Jul 11, 2007 2:40 pm

JonSidneyB wrote:Does anyone else want to see this light? Who has it now?

I currently have the modified StenLight.

It was received with a bent blade mount bracket, slightly cracked glass, and a serious short/open in the lamp-side connector. The short is so bad that I didn't dare use it as a primary light.

I compared the modified Sten to my own Sten (stock LEDs, but with reflectors) this weekend in Hellhole Cave, WV. Because of the short, I did not try to evaluate battery life. The modified light has a broader and more diffuse beam, noticeably "smoother" than the stock optics, slightly more so than a reflector-ed Sten. It is brighter - perhaps not an entire setting brighter, but definitely brighter. On high and turbo, this is not very noticeable (because you're viewing things so far away, presumably). However, on low and medium, it may be bright enough to allow one to use one setting lower than normal - and presumably saving battery by using a lower setting.

My opinion is that if I were purchasing a StenLight new, and had the option of purchasing a stock vs. a "super" Sten for $30 - $50 more, WITH warranty, I'd probably buy the upgraded Sten. If you already own a Sten, it may not be worth the effort/risk to upgrade unless you do long expeditions and are trying to squeeze as much light out of a battery as possible (or if you just must have the brightest light possible).
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby caverdoc » Jul 11, 2007 10:03 pm

I wanted to try the light out but it sounds like it has been seriously bashed about. I'm definitely a Sten devotee and want to get a second lamp head, since I have a second battery I have yet to use.

I'd be willing to buy the "upgraded" model for a reasonable price. :woohoo:

Doc Kennedy
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby JonSidneyB » Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

One of the reviewers asked if I wanted a torture test done. I think I told them that it was not needed as this would be the same in durablity as any other Stenlight. I am not sure this is what happened to this light or not but it seems it had a rough ride. :)

When there is no one else that wants to see this I would be happy to sell it. It would be discounted of course in its condition.
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby JoeyS » Jul 13, 2007 10:02 am

driggs wrote:... (or if you just must have the brightest light possible).

Yes I must. :banana:

And just so yah know, you voided the warranty long ago when you swapped optics.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby JonSidneyB » Jul 17, 2007 1:45 am

the prototype is on ebay now.
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Website???

Postby JohnnyM » Jul 27, 2007 6:29 am

JonSidneyB wrote:the prototype is on ebay now.

Jon,

will your website be working again anytime soon? And did you get my last email asking for your new address/phone number?

Best regards,

John M.,
England.
JohnnyM
Infrequent Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum