Modified Stenlight Passaround for Stenlight users.

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby JonSidneyB » Mar 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Yvonne will need the address of the person who wants to see it next. Hopefully it will be someone that can take it underground and show it to some people.

There will be three of these going into Cheve soon.

We hope to be able to do these modifications in blocks of at least 10 lights at a time as it is not economical to do them in ones and twos.

I will pm the a couple of names at the top of the list for addresses.
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby JonSidneyB » Mar 16, 2007 1:42 pm

I have sent three PMs requesting mailing addresses.

I will get Yvonne to send the modified Stenlight to which ever one of the those first three names responds first. The next two names will follow whoever that first guy is then I will start collecting addresses again.
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby JonSidneyB » Mar 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Evan has checked in. He will be next to see it.

After Evan comes Cavemud.
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby yvonnedroms » Mar 18, 2007 6:45 pm

JonSidneyB wrote:Evan has checked in. He will be next to see it.

After Evan comes Cavemud.

Hey all, I'm back from my weekend and now have the StenLight ready to send to Evan tomorrow.

JonSidneyB wrote:There will be three of these going into Cheve soon.

Actually we'll be taking them to Rio Iglesia, in Huautla. But... almost the same thing. :)

Thanks for letting me test out your new light, Jon. I'm thrilled with the new upgrade!
yvonnedroms
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 26584 FE

Postby Evan G » Mar 18, 2007 9:29 pm

I just got back for the Bighorns Underground. Yvonne I'll be watching for the Sten.

I think I'll take it on a walk thru Hurricane or Fossil Mt.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby JonSidneyB » Mar 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Do you have pictures of Hurricane and Fossil Mt?
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby Evan G » Mar 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Hurricane is located in CO, I was hoping to get to it this weekend, but my friend thinks there is too much water going through it right now. I think he has some pictures of it. I'll email him.

Fossil Mountain- Wind Cave System is here in the Tetons. It was the back up plan and we were considering going into the Wind Cave side and getting into water to test out a drysuit that i purchased over the winter. But I talked to some backcountry skiers and the feel the snow is too unstable to be on. Wind Cave is at around 9600 feet and there is still 66 inch of snow up there. The warming trend that we are having is setting off Avalanche slabs, which makes the snow very risky. Bummer, but that is the mountains for you. http://www.jacksonhole.net/avalanche-backcountry-report.htm
Plus every once and while an ice plug forms on the Wind Cave side with the bitter cold that this winter brought to us, it is probably there. With too many unknowns and risks we all decided it is too early for caving the High country. As you can tell a lot of us are biting the bit to get some Alpine Caving in, but it better to be wise and old than foolish and brash.
This is the entrance into Wind Cave last November:

The thru trip is a wonderfully fun trip with seven rappels and one ascent. It has become one of my favorite day trips. The three miles and 3000 foot elevation gain gets a little grueling to get to it, but fun never the less.

As for the Stenlight, I have a couple more pictures to take tonight and I need Cavemuds address to send it on next week. I will be posting a review on it later this week. I personally think Jon that you are heading in the right direction with this lamp. My sten is an older one I bought off ebay and just looking at this one, I will be upgrading it to the new reflectors and (when available) CCR's.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby JonSidneyB » Mar 29, 2007 2:14 pm

cavemuds address has been sent.

thanks for looking at it for your upcoming review.

:)
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby JonSidneyB » Apr 4, 2007 5:18 pm

CaveMud has the light now and will be taking it underground this weekend.

Dwight Will be next.
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby JonSidneyB » Apr 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Is anyone on the list going to be at VAR???
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 19, 2007 9:06 pm

I'll be there.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Dwight Livingston » Apr 29, 2007 1:18 pm

The pass-around Sten was handed off to Scott McCrea Saturday evening at VAR. John Rollhouser tried it out while caving on Friday and Saturday, and he was quite impressed. I had already received and installed my reflectors and had them underground for the first time in Cassell Cave.

The light is super, with much brighter peripheral light and slightly better throw. With less contrast between peripheral and center, I can look around more, especially on the ground in front of me for foot placement, without fighting the bright spot. I never noticed much in the way of artifacts in the beam of my original Stenlight lenses, but Jon's reflectors are even smoother. Well worth $20.

Note that the pass-around Sten does not include a charger. You use your own.

I had no trouble installing the reflectors. They do not come with printed directions, but there is a post in one of these threads with instructions.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby Mark620 » Apr 30, 2007 9:16 pm

John,

FYI. I will be at SARA.
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby JonSidneyB » May 1, 2007 9:34 pm

When Scott is finished examining it.

Joey is next followed by Mark

We have been doing the modifications to upgrade the LEDs for those that cannot wait. We hope we can build interest in the led upgrade and try to do them in blocks of 10 at a time.

The LED modification is seperate from the reflector modification. The reflector modification is a do it your self thing.
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » May 7, 2007 10:58 am

I used the pass around Sten on Sat. We only spent about an hour in the cave, but that was plenty to 'show me the light.' I can't say anything bad about it. Lots of light, great spread and throw. Very nice!

I did a side-by-side comparison to a buddies Sten which has 15 and 20 degree optics. His light was a full setting less bright. In other words, my "2" was his "3". Mine was a much nicer color too. His was more green. The spread and throw was also better with mine.

So, my questions are:

How does the Burly mod affect the battery life?
How much does the LED mod cost?

I'll be sending the light to Joey this afternoon.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum