SpeleoTechnics Nova Light

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

SpeleoTechnics Nova Light

Postby PatShaw » Feb 5, 2007 9:18 pm

Anyone have any experience with this light? Especially as a light for sump diving? The 50m depth is pretty attractive (to me, at least...not that that's a common diving depth for me!) and the 3w LED sounds like something that will last for a while in the event there's air-filled passage beyond. The Sten Light seems like it has lots of accolades, but the 6m depth waterproofing seems a bit skimpy.
PatShaw
Infrequent Poster

Postby JoeyS » Feb 5, 2007 11:18 pm

I don't know about that model in particular, but I have the FX Ion 14 LED light, and I think ST makes some really tough products. I've only looked at the Nova at the IMO booth at TAG, but it looked very tough.
Personally, I use the stenlight now and it rocks, but then again I don't do sumps..

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby paul » Feb 6, 2007 8:00 am

My partner Karen uses a Nova 3 and I use a Stenlight I bought while on a trip to the US.

The Nova 3 is very well made and very bright - but I don't know about use underwater. I know the helmet-mounted rechargable batteries which are one option for the Nova are not waterproof to any depth.

You will probably get better answers to use underwater by posting to UKCaving.com or the Cave Diving Group forum since there are probably more UK-based cavers with experience of using the Nova.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Return to Equipment Forum