Ice cleats

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Ice cleats

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 2, 2007 11:40 am

I need more traction on the ice. Anyone have any experience with ice cleat type thingys? Found here and here. A couple example pics below. I've read a bunch of reviews and none sound perfect. Either too hard to get on or not durable enough or don't stay in place. Anyone have any personal experience?

Image Image
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Baazalung » Feb 3, 2007 5:00 am

Dunno if you know this site(but I suspect you do), but it also has other models of the things you are looking for: http://www.expe.fr
It's better down here than out there...
Baazalung
Frequent Poster

Re: Ice cleats

Postby hank moon » Feb 3, 2007 1:28 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:I need more traction on the ice. Anyone have any experience with ice cleat type thingys?

hey Scott, what is your specific need? Just walking around town or on the rock, or..??? I've tried a bunch of these things and their performance varies depending on the terrain. The ones you have pictured are basically for mild outdoor use on even terrain. An instep crampon might suit your need.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Feb 3, 2007 8:53 pm

Scott,
It seems counterintuitive for someone not a mountain hiker, but the instep cleats with about a 1/2" cleat are just wonderful on uneven terrain. We bought some really neat looking full foot creepers for use in the winter Grand Canyon, and they turned into skates in just a 1/4 mile or so. One of the canyon angels (folks who cruise the upper canyon looking for clueless newbies like me) gave me a used pair of Ice Walkers, and suddenly it was like I could actually walk without slipping. I bought a new pair when I reached the top.

Apparently that brand is no more, but I found something very similar from CMI corporation online:
http://www.cmi-gear.com/catalog/essentials/icecleat.asp
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 3, 2007 11:12 pm

I just want them for casual hiking use. I saw those instep cleats, but wasn't sure how well they would work with not traction on the toe, but y'all seem to like them. Maybe I'll give them a shot. The price is right. Thanks!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Tim White » Feb 5, 2007 9:51 am

Not cheap, but the Kahtoola® Traction System are great! Berta and I each have a pair that we have used both here in the mountains of the south and out west in "real" mountains when we did not need true crampons.

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

Disclaimer: Berta is a PMI Sponsored Athlete. PMI carries and sales Kahtoola products. My post is not intended to advertise this product, but to inform interested readers.
Last edited by Tim White on Feb 20, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Cavemarine » Feb 20, 2007 12:44 am

I HAD a pair just like the kind on the left. They worked pretty good when I gave them a test run...I felt like i could walk up a wall...But, I let a buddy use them when we went on a little hike because he didnt have any boots. They lasted an hour or so before the rubber broke. If you were only using them for snow/ice they would probly last longer though.

Bobby
Cavemarine
Infrequent Poster

Postby Evan G » Feb 20, 2007 1:30 am

I use crampons quite often.

One medium hike and the rubberize crampon with studs would not last long even with light use.

Nice on Tim's running/light hiking crampons. Mainly because I have never trusted the instep crampons and that one time that you need good footing they will pay for themselves.

FYI-Don't step on your toes, it hurts.
Last edited by Evan G on Nov 20, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Tom Gilleland » Feb 20, 2007 4:04 am

I've used those instep cleats on a winter Grand Canyon trip. The main problem was that they filled with packed snow and ice and really didn't work very well at that point. You had to clear them out alot. And the arch of my feet got sore after long use. I will use full strap-on crampons next time.

Has anyone used crampons in steep slippery mud inside caves? Seems like they might work well.
Tom Gilleland
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 26508
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Arizona Grotto

Postby Evan G » Feb 20, 2007 9:14 am

I agree with you Tom on using full crampons. It seems that with long usage that if you don't have a 3/4 or full shank in your boot that it would just kill your feet.

Has anyone used crampons in steep slippery mud inside caves? Seems like they might work well.

I have use them in AK in and out of caves, but they didn't work that well. Mainly because they "gunked" up fast, but I would think it depends on the texture of the mud.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Caver John » Nov 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Kathoola micro spikes are the way to go for snowy icy hiking.
Anything really icy and steep I would use light crampons and An axe.
Those traction aids (yAktrax) can help in light snow but don't bite into the ice at all

My three cents
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby potholer » Nov 29, 2011 9:32 am

Caver John wrote:Kathoola micro spikes are the way to go for snowy icy hiking.

I certainly think the ones I got are great, and quick to fit/remove item for mixed walking, with grip generally excellent on anything but flat, smooth sloping rock.
It took me a little while to get used to the relative lack of edge, and advantages of placing feet flat even on much sloping ground.

For winter walks to UK caves over frozen/snowy moorland, having something that can be quickly pulled on over a pair of wellies is fantastic.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum