Petzl Micro Question

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Petzl Micro Question

Postby BenC » Jan 22, 2007 5:28 pm

I refer all questions to a hyper-intelligent shade of blue.
BenC
Frequent Poster

Re: Petzl Micro Question

Postby NZcaver » Jan 22, 2007 6:50 pm

No it won't. The Petzl Micro uses a bulb with a screw fitting.

A Micro was one of my first caving lights - it was way underpowered, though. With all the far more efficient lighting available now, I'm surprised Petzl haven't retired the Micro yet.

Anyway, a better choice for a LED upgrade in your Micro would probably be this. I have a 4-cell version of the same bulb in the high beam side of my spare Petzl Duo, and it works great! :cool:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby JoeyS » Jan 22, 2007 8:01 pm

Yeah I still have an old micro. My first caving trip I had two of them on my head w/out helmet. Ran into some "real" cavers. They probably got a chuckle out of it. I donated one to our grotto's auction last month. Someone actually paid almost 10 bucks for it. I keep my other one in my toolbox for using around the house. Still a great piece of hardware after 12 years.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby MUD » Jan 22, 2007 8:19 pm

Yessum...got me two old micros. They're mounted on two old Petzl ecrin helmets. Retired the helmets and the lights a number of years ago. The LED replacement interested me until I got a look at the price. They'll continue to stay on the shelf with the carbide lamps. Occasionally they'll come out and do a trip for nostalgic reasons.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby BenC » Jan 22, 2007 9:29 pm

:shock:
They'll continue to stay on the shelf with the carbide lamps.
Blasphemy!! Mine's getting on in age but the soft halogen glow is great for lighting survey stations and not blinding the instrument person! Course with carbide you can mark the point too!! Thanks for the info!! But is the Duo bulb and the Micro bulb the same?
BenC
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jan 22, 2007 11:22 pm

BenC wrote:Thanks for the info!! But is the Duo bulb and the Micro bulb the same?

Almost. Same screw base, but different voltage.

The LED insert I have in my Duo is an LS407, for 4-cell flashlights/headlamps (approx 6 volts). The LED for the Micro is the LS233, for 2-cell lights (approx 3 volts). Other than that, they are the same item - a 1 watt side-emitting LED set in a screw base. The $23 price tag includes First Class postage within the US. I just clicked on their "order" button, and it seems they're out of stock of this item right now. You might want to drop them an email - they were very helpful when I ordered from them a year ago.

As far as I'm aware, these are the only screw base retrofit high-intensity LEDs currently available in the US. Here's an independent review. [Note they refer to the LED as the 223 instead of the 233. This appears to be a typo - they are the same item.]

And FYI - Here is an earlier post I made after first trying the new LS407 in my Duo.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby BenC » Jan 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Looking at the 233 it looks correct, 3 volt, etc but 23.00 bucks for a lightbulb!! I'll mull it over or find a job one of the two.
BenC
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jan 23, 2007 4:36 pm

BenC wrote:Looking at the 233 it looks correct, 3 volt, etc but 23.00 bucks for a lightbulb!! I'll mull it over or find a job one of the two.

Yeah, there is that cost factor. :hairpull: I had to think on it for a while before buying my one for the Duo.

However, high intensity side emitting LEDs are not just your regular lightbulbs - nor are they like the 5mm clear/white LEDs that only cost a few dollars. The price they charge is comparable with the LED modules you can now get for the big Maglites (they have them at Wal Mart, and no - they won't fit your Micro). :wink: The price of this technology has come down (mine cost a whole dollar more a year ago), and will continue to do so. But for now, this is what you get.

If you do decide to get one (and they have it in stock), be sure to try it out and post your results. I'd be interested to know what you think.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby JoeyS » Jan 23, 2007 8:09 pm

I doubt I'll ever mod my micro to LED, as I find the incandescent glow of it quite satisfying while doing emergency plumbing work under my house, etc... Seems like I get better depth perception with the old school bulbs. And, that's probably how my Grandpa saw it when he did it... A bit of nostalgia, I guess... Enjoy those "krypton, xenon, halogen" days b/c they are definitely limited...

Postby Mark620 » Jan 23, 2007 9:15 pm

JoeyS wrote:Enjoy those "krypton, xenon, halogen" days b/c they are definitely limited...

What about the HID's?
I know a couple of cavers that are going to HID lighting.
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby JoeyS » Jan 23, 2007 9:58 pm

Mark620 wrote:
JoeyS wrote:Enjoy those "krypton, xenon, halogen" days b/c they are definitely limited...

What about the HID's?
I know a couple of cavers that are going to HID lighting.

That's why I didn't mention HID... I picked up a 35 watt HID at Sam's Club last week. It is a bit too heavy and bulky for alot of caves, but I might take it into Tumbling Rock or Camp's Gulf. It is... AmaZINGLY Bright!! HID is just getting started, sort of like LEDs...

Do you know about any HID's that are helmet worthy, for a main light? :woohoo:

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jan 23, 2007 11:21 pm

JoeyS wrote:Do you know about any HID's that are helmet worthy, for a main light? :woohoo:

A friend here uses a HID for mountain biking it seemed a reasonable size but I think the battery life wasn't all that crash hot.

AFAIK HIDs are emerging for night riding mountainbikers but I haven't seen them available else where so check out helmet mounted mountain biking lights perhaps :question: Except for photography I don't really have a call for a brighter light.

I think it was pretty expensive too but I can't remember how much...
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Mark620 » Jan 24, 2007 10:43 pm

One of them spent about $500.00 and that does not include the battery :hairpull:

according to them they are as efficient as LEDS. I am not sure about that tho.
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby Baazalung » Feb 3, 2007 5:11 am

You could try replacing it with:
- TERRALUX Quad Star -with 4 leds =18.5 Euros
- TECHTONIQUE TRILed - 3 leds = 19,9 Euros

Unless you already bought one...
It's better down here than out there...
Baazalung
Frequent Poster