UNDER ARMOR THAT LET MOISTURE GO THROUGH

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

UNDER ARMOR THAT LET MOISTURE GO THROUGH

Postby CAVERSCOTTM » Jan 19, 2007 4:43 pm

Has anyone worn one of these shirts that fit really tight and let moisture go through. Its like a microfiber. Sometimes here in indiana i get drenched with sweat, was wondering if these really work.
CAVERSCOTTM
Infrequent Poster

Postby adleedy » Jan 19, 2007 5:09 pm

ive worn an under armour shirt for caving, i really liked it it kept me nice and warm
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 19, 2007 5:46 pm

If it's not too hot to wear, fleece really manages moisture best in my experience. I've also come to be a big fan of "Coolmax."

Folks in my mountain biking club are really fond of wool. Lately "Smartwool" has been widely available and they make Tshirts and LS layers to put next to your skin. Purportedly it doesn't itch.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Dane » Jan 19, 2007 6:10 pm

I have the shorts and t-shirt for wet caves - does a great job of removing the moisture and helping maintain body temperature.
It will actually help keep you warmer or cooler, depending on your needs, as it acts like a second skin, aiding in the distribution and ultimately the evaporation of mositure from your body.
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby killian » Jan 19, 2007 7:13 pm

I played football and lacrosse on high school and wore under armor stuff. It is great they make many different kinds of stuff for all kinds of weather conditions. Worm gear,cold gear, and some others i cant remember. i loved the stuff but it was pretty pricey and i don't know how it would hold up in a cave environment.. If you have the money try it out i think it would be great for caving and it would probably hold up fine... its pretty toff stuff.. :grin:
killian
Prolific Poster

Name: Killian McCarthy
NSS #: 58343

Postby barcelonacvr » Jan 19, 2007 8:01 pm

I have been using polyethylene cave base layers and it certainly works well.Very warm and not damp as the sweat dissipates so well.I wouldn't cave without them

I have recently switched to Merino wool and I must say it is much more comfortable and soft.I will give it a good workout tomorrow to see how well it really works when wet and in severe cold

If it is as good or better (better from what i have read) it will be a nice change from the itchy ,lint laden poly's I have now.Poly's are a lot cheaper though
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 19, 2007 8:15 pm

eramosakarst wrote:I have been using polyethylene cave base layers
You wouldn't mean polypropylene, would you?
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby JoeyS » Jan 19, 2007 10:35 pm

40 dollars for a T-shirt... :shock:
I thought we cavers were penny pinchers.... The old timers are spinning right now :doh:

But seriously, I have used some knock off UA stuff from Academy Sports (well, is Reebok really a knock off?) and pair one of those shirts with a pair of Chili Heads curdura pants and I'm good for most anything. These types of running/sport shirts seem mighty tuff IMO. I would think that the authentic Underarmor stuff would be just as durable if not tougher.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby adleedy » Jan 19, 2007 10:38 pm

yes, my under armour cold gear shirt was $50 but it seems to hold up well, its made very good and is pretty tuff stuff
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby barcelonacvr » Jan 19, 2007 11:31 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:
eramosakarst wrote:I have been using polyethylene cave base layers
You wouldn't mean polypropylene, would you?

I always forget whether it is polypropylene or polyethylene they use now.The one that doesn't stink like the old time stuff did is what I have been using.I find it itchy and I get balls of fuzz all over it....then again that could be my masculine laundering techniques.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverd » Jan 20, 2007 6:50 pm

I find the same types of shirts in other brands and get them for under $10.00. They work great. That with some polypro's and I'm in pretty good shape for a nice wet cave. I've stayed in cave water for over an hour like this with no problems. I do have a little extra padding of my own, so I don't know how well this would work for slim cavers.
caverd
Occasional Poster

Postby CaveJunkie » Jan 20, 2007 7:22 pm

I wear my under armour tshirt. And before my friends and I go in we get pumped up by standing in a circle and clapping and hitting our knees in rhythm and yelling "Under armour, hua! Under armour, hua! Under armour, hua!" and then I yell out "We must protect this cave!"

We are a bunch of losers. :waving:
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Name: James Woulfe
NSS #: 56791

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 20, 2007 8:30 pm

I went to a Dick's sporting goods store today. And while there, I tried on an Under Armor shirt. I would be arrested for being too offensive if I were to wear such a garment in public! I'll leave them to younger, tauter physiques....
:hairpull:
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby kmstill » Jan 20, 2007 11:50 pm

may want to check out military stores. the t-shirts are available in a variety of wicking brands (including UA) - I think I've been paying about $12 per tee. Been wearing them for work - not much comment other than comfortable and durable - I basically don't notice them (which is what you want in a tee). have not used them in a cave environment
Kelly Still NSS50801
kmstill@gmail.com
kmstill
Prolific Poster

Name: Kelly Still
NSS #: 50801

Postby barcelonacvr » Jan 21, 2007 1:41 am

-22 C and blowing into the cave today and only slightly warmer in cave(damn open ended cave system half full of water)....merino wool is NOT as warm as Undearmour or equivalent IMHO but not by much.Mind you it could be the Wool stuff I bought,100% Australian merino wool.I have heard the new Zealand is best.It IS nice and soft though.

I will test the "wool is warmer when wet" statement I have read soon ,although I am not looking forward to it :shock:
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum