Bosch Rotary Hammer Drill....

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby MUD » Feb 24, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks for the report, Dan! How many 18" deep holes can it drill? That's what we would use it for most. Cavern enhancement technology! :grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Re: Bosch Rotary Hammer Drill....

Postby Leclused » Feb 13, 2008 9:16 am

In my club we are using both the 36V bosch as the 36v Hilti Te6A. And we did a comparison between the two. In the link you can find the
write-up about these test. Sorry there is no English version. But the part "quelques test pratiques" in the french version will show you the different performances.

The write up in French

http://www.scavalon.be/downloads/TEST%2 ... 20TE6A.pdf

The write up in Dutch

http://www.scavalon.be/downloads/TEST%2 ... 20TE6A.pdf

BR

dagobert (Sc Avalon - Belgium)
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Re: drills

Postby shibumi » Feb 13, 2008 9:47 am

pebblepoint wrote:I ordered 3 8amp batteries for $60 inc. shipping. Weight is 18 lbs plus the drill. These can be separated so that 2 cavers can share the load. A 36 volt factory battery pushes $200 each.
These guys have also made wiring suggestions. I think I can do it.
I have no idea how many holes I can drill with 24 amps but I'll let you know.

If you string 3 12 volt, 8amp batteries in series to make a 36 volt pack you
only have 8 amps, not 24. If you gang them in parallel you have 12 volts and 24 amps.

I've been using the Dewalt DW005k (24volt, ebay new $330) for a while now and find it a good compromise
between cost and performance, but if and when I can afford it I'm moving up to the Bosch. I have a
bit of a dilemma there, when I want to do mucho drilling I use my air powered rockdrills, and I have
"other" ways of removing rock deep in caves, so the number of times I would need the extra
performance of the Bosch is limited enough to not justify the cost yet.

I will say that for bolt climbing I've been using an 18 volt Dewalt hammerdrill. It's principle
advantage is that it is a lot smaller and I have a bunch of extra batteries for it (all my
cordless tools are Dewalt 18volt) and I appreciate the lighter weight when reaching above my
head hanging in a harness.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Bosch Rotary Hammer Drill....

Postby barcelonacvr » Feb 13, 2008 4:19 pm

i have been using the 36 litheon for a year and love it.i average 19x 5/16x20 inch deep holes per battery,while not as strong as i thought in regards to longevity ;it sure drills the holes fast.i am looking at getting the fat pack replacement batteries and will comment in regards to how it they perform.i will also build an external pack as per some cavedigger comments.while i am a huge fan of hilti and used them for years in construction and demolition,bosch has a great drill in the 36 litheon.

i again apologize for the horrid typing.i am still in medical restraint bondage and one finger is it for a bit.

btw i bought 2 drills,one from bosch and one from amazon.com.the amazon one was factory refurbished and with a full warranty.cost was only 479 can and my partners have been beating it hard with no problems.maybe an option for those with less funds willing to buy refurbished.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum