Truck Camping

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 17, 2005 2:54 pm

Cindy Heazlit wrote:You know, I've never seen carpet kits back east, but we've had them in California for 20 years.

Yep, I've never seen that. Pretty cool, but I couldn't imagine putting my nasty cave gear on carpet. Maybe they make one with vinyl. :lol:

Oh, and this one is really nice. :shocked: :yikes: :eyecrazy: :nuts:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 17, 2005 6:04 pm

Oh, and this one is really nice.

You're baaaad! :wink: Anyway, you forgot to include this smilie :pray:

:mrgreen:

Think it comes in a hunky dude version as well? :cupcake:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby ljthawk » Oct 24, 2005 10:34 am

I'm going to have to write an editorial of that article, mainly because Branden didn't put a picture of my truck in it and hurt my feelings (just kidding on the feelings). My problem with all the trucks he shows is that other than towing, they can no longer be used as trucks without having to remove the platform. Sure, everyone says you can make them modular and easy to disassemble, but the truth is I haven't seen anyone do it. On one weekend I will be hauling fuel, tools, chain saw, caving gear, oversize items, and the next I may be just camping and caving. Elaborate platforms are impractical. Building an elaborate platform that prevents you from hauling items like a washer & dryer is akin to neutering your truck; ok, maybe that is a little harsh.

Anyway, my solution is to use a folding cot. When I want a platform I unfold it, set it up, and stash gear under and beside it. When I want a truck I take it out. Sometimes on trips when we carpool in my truck I break it down in the morning so that I can fit other's gear in my truck for the drive to the cave, then set it back up when I'm ready to camp. You can also take it out and sleep under the stars if you desire. Much more versatile and less castratory than an elaborate platform.

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Oct 24, 2005 6:40 pm

A couple friends have used a platform for years and love it. One has trap doors for easy access to suff underneath, the other has nifty decor to make it cozy but both vehicles have been rendered impotent for hauling large items without first removing the platform.

I've wanted to use my cot but it does'nt fit my S10 so I've always just cleared out space for an air matt & sleeping bag. A couple benefits: If I,m at a caving event and see "that perfect rocking chair" at a yard sale, it can go home with me or if someone needs a ride with thier gear...no problem. If I need extra space when camping, I still have my trusty but seldom used tent.

Just another 2 cents...BL
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Nov 9, 2005 8:16 pm

I found another link that applies to this topic:
http://www.pigseye.com/jackson/
The tailgate tent thing is pretty cool.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby CKB69 » Nov 9, 2005 10:29 pm

"though I’ve yet to see someone install a crapper or a shower in their truck"

The shower is the easy part. :grin:

http://www.zodi.com/
http://www.hotcampshowers.com/new51788.html

The crapper is a little more problematic.... :P
Slide. Slide on the ice...
CKB69
Frequent Poster

Postby Amocholes » Nov 10, 2005 5:46 am

The tailgate tents work pretty well. I've used one on a Ford Ranger and just threw a mattress in the back. I've got a full size Dodge now so the tent doesn't fit but I still have it.
When facts are few and far between, hypothesis defies all logic, as to how an individual came to the conclusion, that the point that they are trying to make, is indeed true and not just the fabrications of a deluded mind.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby Lava » Dec 5, 2005 7:49 pm

CKB69 wrote:"though I’ve yet to see someone install a crapper or a shower in their truck"

The shower is the easy part. :grin:

http://www.zodi.com/
http://www.hotcampshowers.com/new51788.html

The crapper is a little more problematic.... :P

No, I'd say the crapper is the easy part:

Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby George Dasher » Dec 7, 2005 10:52 am

Mmmmmm...

I think the toilet seat should be turned around and the bag underneath removed.

Then there'd be no need to even stop the truck.

Of course, the people behind would be treated to a view and some nasties they probably could do without in their life.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby Dan Sullivan » Dec 7, 2005 11:38 am

Bruce, I think you just put a new meaning to car surfing. In fact, the only thing missing is a seat belt.
Dan Sullivan

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 7, 2005 7:35 pm

I think the toilet seat should be turned around and the bag underneath removed.
Then there'd be no need to even stop the truck.

That's what the traditional Arab dhows have (except they're wooden...) , and call them thunderboxes! Pretty freaky using one -- hanging out there on a little platform high above the rolling seas....no belay.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

truck camping

Postby caverbill » Dec 19, 2005 3:26 pm

My wife and I started dating while at NCRC weeklong in south dakota. My friend Greg and his son had traveled with me. My 1987 ford (single cab) truck with shell, lots of gear stored in totes on the sides and a sleeping pad in the middle. The double sliding doors allowed us to go into the back to sleep, switch drivers, etc. on the move.

When Sharon and I hooked up, she left NCRC with us on to convention, devils tower, etc. and we maintained the same "don't stop except of gas until time to camp" travel style.

By the time we returned to VA, the question is "how many people can camp out of a ford pickup?

The answer: too many.
caverbill
Occasional Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 27, 2006 9:05 am

For more insight on this topic, check out the paddlers point of view on paddling.net's message board. LINK
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby werewolf » Jan 28, 2006 6:04 pm

I'm always camping in my pickup truck. I never used a platform - just sleep on a 3/4 length Thermarest inflatable mattresses (works better than full length, and I find it just as comfy as a big innerspring mattress and boxspring and bed and what not). (How can you get at stuff under a platform towards the back?) Big windows with screens are very important. The shells with louvered windows were the best, but they don't make them anymore.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby Blackie » Feb 5, 2006 10:54 pm

I started caving and learned that most cavers camp. First Speleofest (95?)I borrowed a co-workers camper shell. Then I bought my own shell but still wasn't crazy about it and spent the majority of my time in motels with the exception of caving events. Colorado convention I froze every night in an aluminum camper shell while my friends next door had a nice heated pop-up. Two canvas pop-ups later and the set-up time became a real drag. 2000 ish I sold my pop-up and bought a hardside pop-up. The insulated walls and 30 second set-up time sold me.
I took a break from caving several years ago but still camp with caver buds. They always give me a hard time but last MVOR I attended I noticed two more a-frame campers. Must have started a trend or sumthin'.
Blackie
Infrequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum