Favorite Helmet?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby graveleye » Jan 4, 2007 8:14 pm

Said of the Camp Silver Star:
The suspension is well padded, and treated with an anti-bacterial formula that helps keep down the skank factor.

hehe :caver: stinky cavers!!! ewww

Ecrin Roc for me and the Elios for my wife.. she found the Ecrin Roc to be too heavy and it hurt her head... the Elios is so much lighter.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Teresa » Jan 5, 2007 12:18 am

I *still* use a bright blue MSA Comfo-Cap, occasionally switching off to a (free) white Bluewater climbing helmet.

(Disclaimer: I am not vertical, likely will never be vertical at this stage, and rarely get any distance off the floor in scrambling. If you do rope, don't do as I do. )

I drowned my brown oldstyle Comfo-Cap in the Jacks Fork River.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wormster » Mar 13, 2007 5:34 pm

adleedy wrote:i currently use the petzl spelios, the elios and duo 14 combo, it was a pretty good deal and it works good for me

Me too
Madam in the morning I will be sober, but you will still be ugly.
Wormster
Frequent Poster

Postby killian » Mar 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Ecrin Roc fo me. got rid of my old hardhat deal and move to this. much better and more comfortable. got the roof burner and the duo plenty of light. :kewl:
Man i sure do like caving.....
killian
Prolific Poster

Name: Killian McCarthy
NSS #: 58343

Postby Keith K » Mar 14, 2007 1:48 am

I loved my HB Olympus until I discovered cracks around the rim. I couldn't find a new one locally so I finally went to REI a while ago to find a new kind. Picked out the Edelrid in a nice orange color. Got to the cashier with some other stuff and my 20% off coupon. Everything rang up normal except for the helmet. The cashier scan the tag an $0.09 popped up. She thought that looked wrong. I kept my mouth shut. She punched in the SKU manually. $0.09 again. I kept my mouth shut. She called over a manager who looked through the SKU history and said....... Thats what it is listed as...$0.09. According to the manager REI puts some discontinued items on unadvertised super duper clearance. You just have to pick the right item. She told me she had rung up a Petzl rack at $8.00 once before.

So I walked out of the store with my new favorite nine cents Edelird helmet. Should have still used the 20% off coupon to get the price down to $0.07
Keith K
Occasional Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Mar 14, 2007 6:00 am

Keith K wrote:I loved my HB Olympus until I discovered cracks around the rim. I couldn't find a new one locally so I finally went to REI a while ago to find a new kind. Picked out the Edelrid in a nice orange color. Got to the cashier with some other stuff and my 20% off coupon. Everything rang up normal except for the helmet. The cashier scan the tag an $0.09 popped up. She thought that looked wrong. I kept my mouth shut. She punched in the SKU manually. $0.09 again. I kept my mouth shut. She called over a manager who looked through the SKU history and said....... Thats what it is listed as...$0.09. According to the manager REI puts some discontinued items on unadvertised super duper clearance. You just have to pick the right item. She told me she had rung up a Petzl rack at $8.00 once before.

So I walked out of the store with my new favorite nine cents Edelird helmet. Should have still used the 20% off coupon to get the price down to $0.07

Hey Keith...Pick one up for me and I'll pay ya double for it when ya come down for convention!
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Jonathan » Apr 4, 2007 7:07 pm

call me crazy but i love my Joe Brown :woohoo: seriously though. It is a little bit heavy but its got classic styling and some serious history (its over 40 years old) i love it because not many other cavers have the old ones and people always ask me about it when i'm out wearing it. I hate to have the same stuff as everyone else, could you tell?
Jonathan
Frequent Poster

Postby chickie hawk » Aug 4, 2007 11:27 pm

kong magic
chickie hawk
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 43018

Postby JamesCrouch » Aug 5, 2007 6:11 am

Petzl Ecrin Roc ... ROCKS!

adjusting wheels for headband and chinstrap that can be operated with muddy gloves... awesome! Never get helmet headache again!

Foam padding... very important if a big rocks lands on your head. You should maybe look into replacing it.
NSS 37510
Central Indiana Grotto
Louisville Grotto
JamesCrouch
Infrequent Poster

Postby tncaveres » Aug 7, 2007 5:18 pm

Ecrin Rock for me too.
Can't get enough!!
tncaveres
Frequent Poster

Postby incavenow » Aug 10, 2007 9:13 pm

Outa 4 different helmets I have, I have gotten stuck on my Ecrin Roc!
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby Komebeaux » Aug 10, 2007 9:48 pm

Black Diamond Half Dome
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Re: Favorite Helmet?

Postby kyryan03 » Jan 7, 2009 7:05 pm

Petzl Ecrin Roc
kyryan03
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Fort Knox Grotto

Postby MKenimer » Feb 26, 2009 11:55 pm

I have a vertex vent and it is pretty comfy. Has anyone ever compared the Vertex and Ecrin Roc? With all the posts saying Ecrin Roc is the best, i'm wondering if I should make the switch?
-Mike
N4TAG
MKenimer
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 34640
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby MKenimer » Mar 5, 2009 12:05 am

Nobody ever compared a vertex & Ecrin Roc?
-Mike
N4TAG
MKenimer
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 34640
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum