helmet rating check

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

helmet rating check

Postby bigalpha » Oct 11, 2005 8:30 am

How could I, or if someone has the means to, check the rating of this helmet that I have. I got it from goodwill. yes, yes, I know it has to be worth a da** to be used for caving, so that's why i'm here now, begging for assistance :lol: here's what the sticker says:

meets
ANSI Z89.1-1986
Class B
GGG-H-142g

The best part is, the helmet cost like $1.10; so even if it's crap, It's still not. hehe
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PaulSiegel » Oct 11, 2005 2:04 pm

ANSI is the american national standard institute, the rating refers to " Personal Protection - Protective Headwear for Industrial Workers" which sounds to me like a hard hat, just keep in mind that the rating was updated to ANSI Z89.1-1997, so your helmet may be older. The best helmets in my opinion are the UIAA (Union International des Associations de d'Alpinism) rated one's, like Petzl's, Black Diamond's and Edelrid's. the UIAA is the organisation that rates and approves climbing gear for use in europe. http://www.uiaa.ch/index.aspx. another good resources is Alpine Caving Techniques which has a great gear section with all the explanations of all certifications and testing done to it.
Paul Siegel
NSS#55641
PaulSiegel
Occasional Poster

Location: College in Tacoma, Washington by way of Atlanta, Ga

Postby hank moon » Oct 11, 2005 2:44 pm

While an ANSI rated work helmet can provide good top impact and penetration protection, that's about all you get. Most hardhats have no chinstrap/retention system. I wouldn't wear one except in the easiest of horizontal caves (i.e. no notable fall potential) and certainly not without a chinstrap. With regard to your helmet, there are few differences between the 1986 and 1997 edition of ANSI Z89.1.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Oct 11, 2005 2:59 pm

so, this helmet i bought is only good for walking forward? haha. dang.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum