Boots

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Steven Johnson » Apr 1, 2007 1:12 pm

ooohfishy wrote:I have these:
Asolo Stynger GTX
I love using these for hiking and backpacking...
Wondering if I can get by with this on my first (few?) caving experience(s)? Gore-Tex lining and I've climbed around big boulders (excellent) grip in Joshua Tree in these... BUT these rocks were dry...

I've been using Asolo FSN 95's for a few years now and have been really happy with them:

Probably not sturdy enough for backpacking, but for hiking and caving they are a good match. I'll probably get another pair when these wear out, rather than experiment on something else.

Of course, I have a super-narrow foot (size 12) so it's hard for me to find boots that fit well... when I do I tend to stick with 'em. Anyone else have narrow-foot suggestions?
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby pighunter » Apr 15, 2007 3:33 pm

If you like knee high boots, try xtratuf boots http://www.xtratufboots.com. If you've spent any time in Alaska, you probably recognize these. If you caved with Alaskans, you more than likely have caved with people wearing xtratuf boots. They are worn for everything outdoors by everyone there, including caving. Honestly, they are great for caving. They are made out of neoprene/rubber that stays flexible but fits snug. The soles grip like glue on most all surfaces.

A whole state couldn't be wrong! Could they?
pighunter
Infrequent Poster

Postby driggs » Apr 15, 2007 9:40 pm

pighunter wrote:If you like knee high boots, try xtratuf boots http://www.xtratufboots.com. If you've spent any time in Alaska, you probably recognize these. If you caved with Alaskans, you more than likely have caved with people wearing xtratuf boots. They are worn for everything outdoors by everyone there, including caving. Honestly, they are great for caving. They are made out of neoprene/rubber that stays flexible but fits snug. The soles grip like glue on most all surfaces.

Do you have a photo of the treads? There's no "lugs" visible from the photos on their website.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 16, 2007 7:28 am

What a coincidence! On Saturday, I caved with a guy that was using Xtratuf boots. He got them while caving in Alaska. He said everyone there uses them. He's used them for a couple years now and is happy with their performance.

Just from looking at them, I was not impressed. The tread is slightly deeper than a basketball shoe. The sole is soft, offering little protection from sharp rocks. To me, they look like great deck boots, but I rarely see decks in caves. But, I have not walked a mile (or even a inch) in these boots, so what do I know?

BTW, the Xtratuf boots are from the same company that make Muck Boots, which I wear.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby pighunter » Apr 16, 2007 7:48 am

Scott,

I too would think the same but I've spent a lot of time In AK and it is a remarkable boot. Downfall would be that I don't like them for a lot of verticle work/pit drops. But then why use them anyway. As long as I can buy them, I'll always have a pair. As for footing, again, they grip like glue. I've never had a pair of knee high boots that were any better in any respect above or below ground. They work a lot better than they look. I do prefer a heavy hiking boot over anything but if it calls for knee highs, that's the boot I'll chose.

Scott, if you’re ever over by the Smokies again and you can fit a pair of 10; you can try a pair of mine and see what you think.
pighunter
Infrequent Poster

Postby mntnacvr » Apr 16, 2007 11:43 am

I use those Asolo's, and my previous pair were the Asolo GTX-both are great all-around boots. my last pair lasted a year and a half. They are the only shoes I own, other than a pair of dress shoes(never really worn) I wear them everyday, at work, hiking, caving, in the snow. The soles are VERY sticky, and they "breath" extreamly well.
Cave on!
mntnacvr
Infrequent Poster

Name: Andy Ashcraft
NSS #: #57986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum