Anyone have problems with New England KM III glazing?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone have problems with New England KM III glazing?

Postby Randyrn » Nov 15, 2006 6:22 am

For over two years I've been unsuccessful in my attempt to kill a section of 9.5mm CMC Rescue Lifeline made by New England Ropes. It's been phenomenal. So with such an awesome experience with the all-nylon New England rope, I decided to give the 9.5mm KMIII a try. Why not throw some polyester into the mix? :tonguecheek: The first day I had it (after sleeping naked with it to break it in :woohoo: ), I took it to a 100 foot drop and made 9 consecutive bounces using all six bars of my rack. Each of the 9 drops were very controlled in terms of speed, just like always. When I was finished and bagging the rope, I noticed that it was badly glazed! I was boiling mad :boxing: , because I've NEVER glazed a rope before. The CMC Rescue Lifeline, 11mm Petzl Vector, and 9 and 11mm PMI ropes have NEVER glazed. And although I can't manage to glaze the 9mm PMI doing Fantastic Pit, all it takes is a measly 100 foot drop on KMIII to result in a crispy rope! :hairpull: I'm just curious if anyone else has had this happen with KMIII. By the way, I just bought another section of the all-nylon CMC Lifeline made by New England, and I'm expecting it to be the same kick*ss rope that the other section of it was. (I still haven't retired the old one yet) In my experience, CMC Rescue Lifeline and PMI rock, but I'm definitely finished with KMIII.
Randyrn
Occasional Poster

Name: Randy

Postby Scott McCrea » Nov 15, 2006 9:38 am

Randy,

IMO, this is an issue with polyester sheaths that have higher carrier counts. I think KMIII has a 32 carrier sheath. For comparison, PMI Pit rope has 16. I saw a piece of Sterling that was badly glazed/melted after Bridge Day. More details about this and some discussion about the cause can be found in this thread: LINK

BTW, the specs on the KMIII say it's pretty stretchy. Did you find this to be true?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Randyrn » Nov 20, 2006 4:42 am

Where can I find an "official" explanation of carrier counts online? I spent quite some time staring at the sheaths of 9mm PMI, 9.5mm CMC Rescue Lifeline, and the 9.5mm KMIII. I had a measuring tape out, was counting "squares" on the sheath, etc, and can see very little difference. Some side-by-side pics I found online of different carrier counts were very obvious at first glance, but not so in the ropes that I'm comparing. I'm stumped! :hairpull:

You are definitely correct on the specs, Scott, but it wasn't too noticeable on such a short drop (~100 feet). Add another hundred feet, and my bet is that it would be pretty noticeable! :grin:
Last edited by Randyrn on Nov 20, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randyrn
Occasional Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Nov 20, 2006 10:36 am

As some one who has recently experienced problems with New England rope, the subject line of this thread really jumped out at me. While I don't have information on carrier counts, I can tell you my first-hand experience with 11mm KMIII. We used this rope on a Lechuguilla expedition in May 2006 and were very disappointed in its performance. It was extremely stretchy, (almost dynamic) and the sheath suffered severe damage. Below is an excerpt from the expedition report that I submitted to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. We attributed the stop and go ride to the core, but now I wonder if it could have been glazing of the sheath. The rope will be removed from the cave next year, and I could take a closer look at the sheath then.

[quote]On the March reconnaissance trip, a 150’ New England 7/16â€
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Nov 20, 2006 11:02 am

Image[/url]
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Randyrn » Nov 20, 2006 1:56 pm

VERY interesting, Andy! I really appreciate the reply.
Randy

Few of us know what we are capable of doing... we have never pushed ourselves hard enough to find out. - Alfred A. Montapert
Randyrn
Occasional Poster

Return to Equipment Forum